What to do based on my experience/Navy veteran

I have been scanning this site and I have found tons of great information. Here is where I am at:
I started this medical journey when I rode along on a fire truck when I was 16. I became and EMT and worked on a busy ambulance in AZ for a year or so. I wanted more...I joined the Navy and became a Hospital Corpsman. LOVED it. First few years were on a ship...sick calls, shots, great experience. I then worked in the ER in San Diego. Sutures, IV's, wonderful experience working close with MD's and nurses. My last year was with the Marines at Camp Pendleton. I went through some more good trauma training and then worked with the Division Psych unit. Worked with a lot of Marines who were coming back with PTSD. I decided to get out in 2010 and started school full time, with no real goal. It was a first step outside active duty. I was trying to figure it out. I got my EMT and I am still on the Navy reserves. So, I have continued to acrue hands on patient experience, along with some valuable life experience, like many others out there. 
So, I am debating the Nurse/PA route. I am starting at a CC in fall to start taking classes. I have really been researching both. Something is drawing me to PA. I know this topic is talked about all over this site, but I had to throw it out there again for feedback. I am getting married this July to a wonderful Kindergarten teacher who supports me no matter what. I am also wondering about obtaining a BSN and applying to PA school. Is that possible? 

I thank you all for your time.

As far as PA school, as long as you get decent grades in your pre-reqs you are in great shape. With that kind of experience programs will be tripping over each other to chase you. Make sure that you use all of your available resources to perform well in your pre-req coursework and you should be able to write your own ticket.

As far as nursing vs PA, talk to a lot of folks in both professions and see what they think (it sounds like you have had this opportunity already). The professions approach a patient differently. For what it is worth, the PA profession was initially specifically designed to make good use of the skill set of folks like you. It has been my experience that the PA profession lets me do pretty much everything in medicine that I want to do.

Good luck, and thanks for your service!

Thank you for the very informative response. I take pride but also feel as though it has been a privilege to have had great learning experiences while in the Navy and elsewhere. My biggest hurdle now is maintaining great grades in school. At 30 years old, I'm basically starting from the bottom here. I have HCE, with room for more of course. I feel as though I'm at a good point where I can get good grades and succeed. It's and intimidating journey to start. But I'm ready to learn and work hard.

Archived