Any critique for my previous personal statement

I used it last cycle and I didn't fair to well. Any suggestions for my future writing?

Everyone in life is dealt a different hand of cards. Many find themselves with a pair of aces and others with nothing of value. It doesn’t matter the cards you are given, it only matters how you play those cards. There are many who let their struggles in life define who they are; they let their struggles conquer them. Throughout my life I have come to the realization that either you let your misfortunes control your destiny or you can choose to accept them and use them to your advantage. At a very young age I was diagnosed with dyslexia, a learning disability. This struggle is one many people have, but they treat it as a shortcoming. The learning disability I had made it difficult to read and learn and progress in school like my peers did. But unlike others who have faced this disadvantage, I tried to find the positives in the hand I was dealt. Because of my dyslexia I thought in different ways than others could, this allowed me to take different approaches in life. I was able to address an issue from a different prospective and find alternate solutions to the dilemmas I faced. I found strength in my disability and it inspired me to show others that those with disabilities can strive for anything.

Recently, I embarked on a summer long cycling event called the Journey of Hope. The Journey of Hope is a cross country cycling ride whose mission is to raise awareness and money for those with both physical and mental disabilities. Cycling across the country was a tantalizing task. Every single day was a challenge, whether it is climbing 12,000 feet across 95 miles in one day or the sadness of leaving a town with those whom we ride for who were so excited and happy to meet us. Every day I woke up realizing that I was making a difference, not only for those with disabilities as a whole but in the individual lives of those whom I have touched along the way. My legs never stopped hurting, the shirt required a wash three days ago, yet I found my positive and strove to be better every day. I took a lot away from cycling across the country. I learned from climbing up “hors Categorie” climbs, which is a French term for the hardest category of climbing in cycling. On the fourth day we climbed more in elevation than the Tour de France cyclists do in a single day in France’s mountains. I chose to conquer my struggle, to find positives, and above all I set out to make a difference in the lives of others like me who are facing a disability.

I've learned in my life time that I was not dealt a perfect hand. It all came down to how I played my cards. Nothing in life is impossible for me if I put my mind to it. Every day I think of those whom I rode for, how they didn't let life beat them down even when people looked down on them or people discouraged them from striving for what they wanted in their hearts. One of the most important things I learned throughout my journey was that no matter how much you want to stop, keep going; just because you can’t see the top, doesn't mean it’s not just around the corner. Now because of this trip I’m inclined to look back every now and again because it is only when you look back that you can finally see how much you have accomplished and the great things you have done. Now that I have learned so much from the Journey of Hope and my struggles from dyslexia I’ve realized, I’ve come far with the hand I was dealt and I’m not finished climbing my mountain just yet. 

I'd mention the reason WHY you want to be a PA. You have an interesting story but your essay is generic and could be submitted to any graduate program. Read the prompt CASPA gives you. Why do you want to be a PA? You don't answer that question in this, at all.

Good luck!

Very true, I tried to make myself stand out other than list off the reasons why I want to be a PA and why I would be a good one. Caspa prompt asked for a personal statement not why I want to be a PA, I had my essay for that one as well.

In the space provided write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to become a physician assistant. Keep your statement general as the same essay will be sent to all schools you will apply to. Your statement must be written in your own words and may not exceed 5,000 characters (not words). For additional information, please click the "Instructions For This Section" button.

-------------------------------

Copied and pasted this directly off the CASPA site.  You didn't mention the words "physician assistant" in your PS once. I'd start there!

In the space provided write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to become a physician assistant. Keep your statement general as the same essay will be sent to all schools you will apply to. Your statement must be written in your own words and may not exceed 5,000 characters (not words). For additional information, please click the "Instructions For This Section" button.

-------------------------------

Copied and pasted this directly off the CASPA site.  You didn't mention the words "physician assistant" in your PS once. I'd start there!

I guess I completely missed that point by mistaking the purpose of the question.

Archived