The PA Professions 10 year plan

I was having a discussion a couple of weeks ago with some other PAs regarding the AAPA's 10 year plan. We were discussing specifically the AAPAs strategic plan vs what the NPs have developed and executed over the past decade. Then this morning I read the thread regarding the problem that is occurring Tennessee.

It made me wonder, is the AAPAs strategic plan flexible enough or even effective enough to address the changing health care laws and regulations that are being implemented currently. I wanted to hear from PAs around the country, what do you think the 10 year strategic plan should be for the AAPA or even the profession as a whole? What are the goals that we should be looking towards in the future that will allow our profession to sit at the table, as equals, with the Docs and NPs to discuss health care issues in America.

Posted below is the AAPAs strategic plan and the AANPs strategic plan.

AANP's strategic plan

http://www.aanp.org/AANPCMS2/AboutAANP/AANP+Information/SPHighlights.htm

AAPA's strategic plan

http://www.aapa.org/about-aapa/strategic-planning

Just two items.....

Change name to Physicain Assosciate

allow PA's to bill directly like NP's and therefor make PA's established providers and PCP's

While i know that the argument for changing the name is appealing to many, wouldn't this be a legislative nightmare. Allowing legislation that has already passed, reopen for modification to change physician assistant to physician associate would allow for potential watering down of already established PA laws by outside organization.

Secondly is the NP's trying to get reimbursement from insurances based on the fact that NPs want to be primary providers for their patients? I would think that equal compensation for all midlevels would be a great goal but how we get their without having the M.D., our allies, thinking we are pushing for independent practice would be the difficult lobby.

No argument just simple questions from a green horn PA ;)

Archived