Moving for out of state program

Gah just deleted my original post while finishing it, so let me try again

I've never moved for PA school (Planning on applying this year), but I have moved over 10 times, so heres what I've learned.  

Everything is very location dependent.  As far as furnished apartments, they are usually much more expensive, if you can find them at all.  I've had better luck renting a bedroom in a furnished house (they have furnished and unfurnished rooms).  This was especially useful for me the first month of living in a new place, so I didn't have to rent somewhere with a longer lease site unseen.  Its also good as you only need to worry about furnishing your room.  The catch is knowing what type of people you can live with.  

For a dresser, you can always buy drawers like these http://www.wayfairsupply.com/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Wide-Storage-Cart-29308001-L3837-K~YEH1070.html?refid=GX47423697089-YEH1070&device=c&ptid=35906867820&gclid=CNnB46-D1b0CFcWTfgod5X0ACg at walmart;  they have ones that are ~$10 a drawer and stackable, so you can choose how many you need.  

If you're going to be moving a lot for clinicals (I'm not sure housing works for those), a good quality air mattress might be all the investment you want to put into a bed.  I have one similar to this http://www.google.com/shopping/product/5684248568248425129?q=air+mattress+full+height&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.64507335,d.aWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.d8ylx0YPHYM.O&biw=1277&bih=623&tch=1&ech=1ψ=FhhGU73KIqn4yAGk2oGYAw.1397102618370.5&sa=X&ei=gBhGU4i3OO2yygGsv4DQBA&ved=0CJcBEPMCMAM   and it is great, also packs up small enough to easily move with.  

I've used uship to find people to ship my furniture across the country.  Mixed reviews about them;  it's cheaper than you'll find for a mover, but also a lot less reliable.  I have an older subaru forester, and the best moves have just involved packing it full and moving (you'd be surprised how much that car can hold!)

I can't speak for finding a furnished apt. I was in grad school once before, which was 6 hours away from where I grew up. I went the cheap route and picked up a dresser, desk, bed frame & couch from a second hand store near the school for around $200. They were able to deliver everything for a fee. When I finished the program I called them to donate it back, and they picked it all up. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a similar situation, regardless of where you're moving. 

Archived