Federal Trade Commission Opportunity to comment

Guest Paula

Guest Paula

PAs have an opportunity to comment to FTC regarding issues that affect us.  I will be commenting on the restrictions we have for supervision and our dependent status that is now affecting if we get hired or not.  In the states that allow NP full practice authority some PAs have experienced loss of jobs and  they are no longer the preferred advanced care providers.  We must let our voices be heard.  Please join me and take time to comment.   Paula

Did you know that the Federal Trade Commission is asking for public comment on "Examining Health Care Competition?" The online submission form has a link to the the Federal Register document showing the questions to be answered, including questions such as "What recent developments have occurred in the regulation of health care professionals, particularly with respect to accreditation, credentialing, licensure, and supervision/cooperation requirements?"; "Do professional regulations affect staffing decisions at health care facilities? If so, how?"; and "• To what extent might professional regulations unnecessarily restrict the scope of practice of non-physician or non-dentist health care professionals?

See the comment submission form (with link to questions) @https://ftcpublic.commentworks.com/ftc/healthcareworkshop/

My response to the FTC:

I would ask that the FTC consider PAs as well as NPs in their discussion of workforce issues. PAs attend a rigorous & accelerated graduate level program averaging 27 months in length after a 4 year science based BS degree and an average of 4 years of prior medical experience. In PA school students do the equivalent of 2/3rds of medical school in 1/2 the time. We have a minimum of 2000 hours of clinical rotations through multiple specialties, equivalent in every way to the third year of medical school. At schools which have both PAs and MDs, the students are scheduled interchangeably for rotations.PAs can serve as primary care providers and work in all specialties.PAs frequently staff inner city and rural facilities without an MD on site. Every consideration given to NPs in the future should also be extended to PAs.
Thank you-
XXXXX
Emergency Med. PA & Paramedic
Doctoral Candidate, Global Health

Guest Paula

I commented too.  How many PAs will respond?  Please send in a comment.  the FTC has written a policy paper published March 2014 entitled :  Competition and the Regulation of Advanced Practice Nurses.   It is an excellent paper and the words PA could be substituted for NP in the paper.  PAs need to get involved and write a letter.  It is easy using the online form. 

Archived