ER - what to expect

I am a new grad and just recently acquired a job in a rural single coverage ER. I am super excited about the autonomy that I will have and the opportunity for learning a ton. Truly my dream job. But I am understandably intimidated. Anything that I can review or know cold so that I can feel a shred of confidence when I start in 2 months? Or any advice?

Thanks

That's a tough job for a new grad. I worked up to a position like this after almost 2 decades as an em pa and 10 yrs before that as an er tech and paramedic.

hopefully you have significant high level prior experience like rn, paramedic, r.t., etc. or you may find yourself over your head very quickly.

I just started working a similar job last summer and keep a binder of stuff around which includes TPA for stroke info, TNK for Stemi info, reversal info for various anticoagulants, and OB emergency info. also reminder cards for procedural sedation and RSI. know the difficult airway and difficult IV access stuff cold. know how to put in IOs and all of the acls algorithms cold. know about Bipap and this may save you from having to attempt some difficult intubations. know about early goal directed therapy in sepsis.

coursework which would be very helpful for you and which you should take asap:

acls/atls/pals/difficult airway course.

after those consider the following: ALSO (OB), FCCS (critical care), ABLS (burns).

attend a procedures workshop on LPs, central lines, paracentesis, nerve blcoks, and dislocation and fracture reduction.

what state is this job in?

Job is in Tennessee, I was an army medic for a number of years before PA school. Apparently, from what I asked about in the interview, I will mostly be relegated to the fast track, it's a 15 bed ER that now handles chest pain but sends out for anything stroke related. Also I was told by the medical director that it is mostly medical and very little trauma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha, my bad, I would love to one day make all the calls, but for now its 5 days a week 1 doc 1 pa, and 2 days with 1 doc and 2 pas. I'm really looking forward to it. Where would I find some good materials to study up on? Also where can I find some workshops?

Thanks for the prompt and informative replies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the society of emergency medicine PAs puts on a conference every year with workshops and lectures. it is in new orleans next month. aapa also has workshops at their conferences. this yr it is in boston in may.

you need to buy this book:

Minor emergencies : Splinters to fractures

http://www.amazon.com/Minor-Emergencies-Philip-Buttaravoli-FACEP/dp/0323007562/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/183-2084695-7107628

this covers the vast majority of things you will see in fast track including most minor procedures. good luck.

Whew, glad you clarified. I was coming in to say that single coverage for a new grad sounded like a recipe for disaster!

One of my jobs is just me and a doc, and I love it. I do everything. No separation by acuity. Many times I'm running a code and the attending is suturing a lac. (And many times it's the other way around, of course.) We just take whichever chart is up next.

But I didn't get to work here until I'd had 18 months of main EM in our much bigger hospital. Because fast track shifts and satellite hospital shift have a lot more autonomy, our practice doesn't put new grads into either.

Good luck with your new position! EM rocks!

Thanks for the replies, Im really, really, really looking forward to this opportunity.  I feel it will be a significant learning opportunity for me.  Im spending the next few weeks reviewing anything i can get my hands on for Emergency Med.  Wish i could afford the SEMPA conference but I can't for now.  Again thanks for the replies.

Archived