Old sciences ?

Question,

My gen bio and gen chem are basically just past the 10 yr mark...i retook a&p 1&2 last year and mircro just to try my luck with PA school....it didn't work out...no interviews no acceptace....maybe because i sent in my applications late idk...

I still have some pending that the deadline is march so maybe there is hope....anyways

the question is....should i bother to retake the gen bio and gen chem to try another year for PA school or just go take the organ chem 2 and physics and the mcat and try for MD / DO school?

Medical schools sciences don't expire! Which makes total sense to me...so idk y PA schools require a time limit..

Any feed back welcomed.

Thanks

I find it hard to believe that you are going to decide between being a physician or and a physician assistant solely on the basis of a couple of classes you might have to retake!

I recommend that you decide which career you want by considering everything -- including the cost (time, money, etc) it will take, and then go for it.

I would hate to be 50 and be an unhappy MD or PA just because I suboptimized my initial decision process because of a class or two.

Take your time and take your best shot. You can change careers as you go, but be conscious in your decision-making.

Good luck!. 

My advice is that if you have considered the MD route, you should give it a shot. The reason I say this is b/c there is a very very small chance you will be 50yrs old as an MD and regret not going to PA instead. There is a much much much larger chance you will be 50yrs old as a PA and regret not going the MD route. My advice is that if you have considered the MD route now, you will likely always be considering this when working in the healthcare field. Don't do PA b/c its quicker, don't shortsight your future, and most of all, think into the future to determine what lifestyle you would like to have and if your current career ideas fit into the lifestyle.

This is news to me that science courses do not expire for MD/DO. I am starting PA school this summer but I did apply for one cycle of MD/DO (MCAT = 29 July 2011) but after zero interview offers I took a year off to reassess my career goals. 

Theoretically, if within the next handful of years (3-5yrs) if I wish to reapply for Med School as a licensed PA, I won't need to retake my science courses from undergrad? But I will need to retake my MCAT….which I believe expires in 5 years? 

just trying to clarify 

This is news to me that science courses do not expire for MD/DO. I am starting PA school this summer but I did apply for one cycle of MD/DO (MCAT = 29 July 2011) but after zero interview offers I took a year off to reassess my career goals.

Theoretically, if within the next handful of years (3-5yrs) if I wish to reapply for Med School as a licensed PA, I won't need to retake my science courses from undergrad? But I will need to retake my MCAT….which I believe expires in 5 years?

just trying to clarify

Yes, I think you are correct. Why did you decide to not reapply to md/do schools? Why is PA the better choice for your situation?

Yes, I think you are correct. Why did you decide to not reapply to md/do schools? Why is PA the better choice for your situation?

There are many things in life that I am seeking to be fulfilled, and a Medical Degree is not exactly one of them. I don't think Medical School is a financially smart investment at this point in my life. 

just trying to clarify

This can vary from school to school. Some medical schools do not accept science prerequisites older than 7 years and some no older than 10 years; most schools I don't think care as long as they were taken and passed. The MCAT is typically good for 3 years for most and 5 years for some based on my limited research of med schools.

Wake Forest: MCAT - 3yrs ; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Admissions/#credits

FAU: MCAT - 3yrs ; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://med.fau.edu/admissions/index.php

Nova Southeastern: MCAT - 3yrs; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/index.html

Boonshoft: MCAT - 3yrs; Prereq timeframe - 10yrs; http://www.med.wright.edu/admiss/prerequisites

University of SC: MCAT - 5yrs; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://admissions.med.sc.edu/admissions.requirements.asp

I'm sure you don't believe that i am that simple....i have always...thought about both roles....but the pa route.......as i get older.... I want more out of life....i wouldnt stop at the master's degree either .... In fact i already have an mph.....so i still want the doc/ whether phd/ do/ md...i will still pursue it... behind my name....

so i was asking the opinion to see if it was worth the money to retake those courses just to be a pa...when i can take the same amount of courses to a doc...

Thanks for your imput...

I find it hard to believe that you are going to decide between being a physician or and a physician assistant solely on the basis of a couple of classes you might have to retake!

I recommend that you decide which career you want by considering everything -- including the cost (time, money, etc) it will take, and then go for it.

I would hate to be 50 and be an unhappy MD or PA just because I suboptimized my initial decision process because of a class or two.

Take your time and take your best shot. You can change careers as you go, but be conscious in your decision-making.

Good luck!.

Yeah the mcat is usually what they require to be more current .....sciences not so much

This can vary from school to school. Some medical schools do not accept science prerequisites older than 7 years and some no older than 10 years; most schools I don't think care as long as they were taken and passed. The MCAT is typically good for 3 years for most and 5 years for some based on my limited research of med schools.

Wake Forest: MCAT - 3yrs ; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Admissions/#credits

FAU: MCAT - 3yrs ; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://med.fau.edu/admissions/index.php

Nova Southeastern: MCAT - 3yrs; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/index.html

Boonshoft: MCAT - 3yrs; Prereq timeframe - 10yrs; http://www.med.wright.edu/admiss/prerequisites

University of SC: MCAT - 5yrs; Prereq timeframe - N/A; http://admissions.med.sc.edu/admissions.requirements.asp

just trying to clarify

Yeppers....it just seem wasteful to spend 2 yrs delaying something you want to be...just try again for med school....it took my cousin 4 yrs to get into do schools....but with multiple mcat attempts and medical science degree she finally got 1 interview and one acceptance....thats all you need....might not be your top choice but hey st least in four yrs ull be a doc...

My advice is that if you have considered the MD route, you should give it a shot. The reason I say this is b/c there is a very very small chance you will be 50yrs old as an MD and regret not going to PA instead. There is a much much much larger chance you will be 50yrs old as a PA and regret not going the MD route. My advice is that if you have considered the MD route now, you will likely always be considering this when working in the healthcare field. Don't do PA b/c its quicker, don't shortsight your future, and most of all, think into the future to determine what lifestyle you would like to have and if your current career ideas fit into the lifestyle.

You couldnt be more right on.......just looking at the time frame if things ...but i do plan on giving it a shot md/do route ...we'll see hopefully i will get there....i really appreciate it...either way i will be spending the next 7 yrs in school if a go pa i would want to do the phd...so if i go md:do i would be a doc in 4 yrs with 2 yrs residency program which i dont even have to do...could be a generalist...

Thanks again....u are right i am always gonna wonder what if....

so iamme,

Have you decided which route you are going to take? If so, what helped you take the leap and choose one over the other?

Funny i am just checking this post since i initiated it....but i also just responded to u....i am going to use the rest of this year and spring next year to take the ochem 2 and physics one and 2 ...and the mcat....i want to give pa school another try...but i was looking at schools that didn't have any time frame in the sciences and they were virtually none....so i want to try the mcat maybe end of this year after my first physics class

• 3 weeks later...

Iamme, my sciences were more than 10 years old as well, and I did not re-take any of them. I took med term and genetics within the last couple of years only because they were newly required by my favorite programs.

I was accepted for 2014 to both Yale and Duke, and I turned down interviews at East Carolina, Wake Forest, and the University of Florida once I accepted the spot at Duke. 

If you decide to go the PA route, I found there are quite a few great programs on the east coast which will accept older science credits. 

In some ways, I think being a nontraditional student helped me stand out from the crowd during the interview process. I was able to make a very strong case for my motivation to be a PA, backed up by all the steps I had taken to shift gears in mid-life, with children in tow, to meet all the requirements for application. 

Good luck to you! 

• 6 years later...
On 3/21/2014 at 11:21 AM, ncpa said:

Iamme, my sciences were more than 10 years old as well, and I did not re-take any of them. I took med term and genetics within the last couple of years only because they were newly required by my favorite programs.

I was accepted for 2014 to both Yale and Duke, and I turned down interviews at East Carolina, Wake Forest, and the University of Florida once I accepted the spot at Duke. 

If you decide to go the PA route, I found there are quite a few great programs on the east coast which will accept older science credits. 

In some ways, I think being a nontraditional student helped me stand out from the crowd during the interview process. I was able to make a very strong case for my motivation to be a PA, backed up by all the steps I had taken to shift gears in mid-life, with children in tow, to meet all the requirements for application. 

Good luck to you! 

Coming in very late to your post but thank you for all your help and information. Congratulations; I'm very happy you were accepted into your top pick! I am also a student applying to PA programs and completing a couple courses required for the degree (organic chem & genetics for example) although the rest of my science courses are right at that 10 year mark. Do you mind me asking, with being a non-traditional student with older science courses, what was your entering GPA or the grades you received in your courses? 

Best!