Scared

I'm learning a lot in school but I still get the feeling I'm not prepared for the working world and am kind of scared to be out there on my own after I graduate. It seems like some PA jobs are routine and once you get the hang of it, but I'm not entirely sure. It's all so scary!

I'm a recent graduate and just passed the PANCE yesterday. I'll also start my training/work next month. Like you, I'm not sure what to expect and feels scared that I will not have my preceptor's shadow behind me all the time. I'll be by myself! But we have to do it. We have to pace ourselves learning the things we have to learn, one day at a time. We can't learn and digest the vast knowledge of medicine in one day or one week. It will take some time. We have to use all the resources that we can get in order to make our jobs easier. We'll have our supervising physicians, nurses, and colleagues around us. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know what to do. Remember, we have to be confident and competent at the same time in front of our patients. So, relax, enjoy school, and look forward to work outside and realizing your dreams, one day at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about 4 years before you really get your sea legs. Every year you work you'll feel like you've doubled or more your knowledge base. Learn to diagnose. If you can diagnose it, you can find in a book somewhere how to treat it. Find a good precepting physician and you are set. NHSC locations are usually great for this.

If you can survive school the job will be fine. You are most likely better prepared than you give yourself credit for. Your precepting doc will help a lot. PA school taught me far more than I will ever use in practice. The hardest part is learning to use the fax machines, dealing with the office staff and figuring out who will let you use there milk and who will freak out. Honestly the medicine part will comes with practice. A good precepting doc will have you take it at your own pace and most are very understanding. I work in a relatively limited scope as in an orthopedic practice and it took me a year to really feel comfortable. Now at 3.5 yrs it is old hat. Give it time and patience and you will do just fine. Good Luck!

I agree that the learning is progressive and passing the PANCE is a formality. Almost 14 years ago I had a lot more tension about the practice of medicine and now most of the stress is dealing with the idisycrasies of the other providers and staff. Just like kindergarten, play well with others and the rest comes on its own.

Archived