Choosing Elective Rotations in Surgery

Hello, everyone.

I haven't posted much since joining a few years ago, so here I am finally posting something.

I went into PA school with EM and surgery as my initial areas of interest. I haven't had my EM rotation yet, but my cardiothoracic surgery rotation has made me even more interested in becoming a surgical PA. I have received compliments from my preceptor (MD) and his PA regarding my ability and attitude, and they have urged me to pursue surgery. Maybe I just have a good surgery rotation, but I love the peri-op environment and being in the OR, and I feel alive when performing in the OR. I had this similar feeling when scrubbing in on hysterectomies and c-sections during my ob/gyn rotation and when observing ortho surgeries prior to school. This says something, right?

I would like to ask for any advice on which surgical areas would lend to valuable surgical experience as a student -- not only to help me decide whether or not to pursue surgery, but also for more experience when applying for surgical jobs. I am leaning toward plastic/reconstructive, trauma, general, urology, hand, ortho, and liver transplant surgery. I'd consider doing another CTS rotation, but I figured I should get experience elsewhere while I can. Also, I have two electives. I am thinking about doing both in surgical areas, but I'm leaving the second open for now in case EM turns out to be just as fulfilling.

Any advice is appreciated.

consider doing a general surgery postrad residency after pa schol. these are paid positions which expose you to all the different subspecialties, pay a salary for a year, and give you some incredible experience to put on your CV.

norwalk and montefiore are the oldest/best known programs but their are other fine programs out there as well.

see www.appap.org

consider doing a general surgery postrad residency after pa schol. these are paid positions which expose you to all the different subspecialties, pay a salary for a year, and give you some incredible experience to put on your CV.

norwalk and montefiore are the oldest/best known programs but their are other fine programs out there as well.

see www.appap.org

Thanks for the info. I will be doing a residency if a "good" job doesn't present itself. Any suggestions on which surgical area would be beneficial to take now as a student?

• 2 months later...

Archived