Human Anatomy

I'm a 1st year Stony Brook PA Student right now, and we do a FULL cadaver dissection, starting with an untouched cadaver. There are 6 people (made up of DPT and PA students) to a cadaver, and everyone gets a TON of time dissecting and learning structures. It's an incredible way to learn, and the TAs and professors are in there with you to help and make sure you understand everything you're looking at.

I am a first year here at Univ. of South Alabama. We just completed our Gross Anatomy course on Monday (yay!!). While I wish the course could have been more spread out over a longer semester (May 14th-July 23rd), I think the experience of working with a cadaver was one of the most important aspects of anatomy for ME! I am a highly visual learner and being able to see the body in this way with all its varieties and anomalies made for a quite unique experience. I've also heard many medical schools are going to be going away from the full cadaver dissections due to time constraints. Scary for future surgeons!

• 3 weeks later...

Just graduated from South Alabama and I agree with this post.

I am a first year here at Univ. of South Alabama. We just completed our Gross Anatomy course on Monday (yay!!). While I wish the course could have been more spread out over a longer semester (May 14th-July 23rd), I think the experience of working with a cadaver was one of the most important aspects of anatomy for ME! I am a highly visual learner and being able to see the body in this way with all its varieties and anomalies made for a quite unique experience. I've also heard many medical schools are going to be going away from the full cadaver dissections due to time constraints. Scary for future surgeons!

I'm unaware of any PA program where students actually dissect their own cadavers; the explanation I've been given, which makes sense to me, is that PA students simply do not have the time to do the dissectons themselves. Of the five programs I applied to, three had prosected cadavers and two had no hands-on cadaver access. It was one factor in me choosing Pacific, where multiple graduate programs share a brand-new cadaver lab.

My school with Northern AZ University does cadaver dissections too. We are paired up with University of AZ med school and the PA's do full dissections for the majority of the 1st semester.

Archived