Community College Repeats

Yea as Aivi said, CASPA's GPA calculation may be different than whatever number is on your transcript. So in the grand scheme of a ~120 credit undergrad degree a few A's on course retakes will be unlikely to have an enormous impact on your CASPA GPA, but there are other reasons besides GPA to retake courses. For instance, there are a number of schools who require that you do not have more than one C in a core science prereq. Additionally, at interviews it isn't uncommon to be asked why you had a low grade in a particular course or a bad semester at some point. If you retake the course and get an A you can at least show that you wanted to rectify the situation and that you can indeed handle the particular coursework.

I am currently a senior at my university. I plan to apply to physician assistant school and i wanted to increase my gpa. I plan to do this by repeating the courses I got a C in at community college. Is this looked down on?

They are correct that CASPA will include both grades in your GPA...It is not normally looked down upon. However, I would double check and make sure that the specific programs you are applying to will accept community college credit (either by checking their website and inquiring through email). Pretty much all of my science classes came from a community college, and I found one or two PA programs that wouldn't accept community college credit or "didn't prefer it".

Archived