Compensation for being On Call

I am an internal medicine PA. I have been working at a small private practice in a rural area for the past 3 years. (Been at the same job since I graduated PA school.) I started out at a very competitive pay for M-F. No weekend. No call. But recently I have been asked to cover weekend call 1/3 weekends. This includes calls from a few different nursing homes regarding questions on patients. Rounding Sat/Sun on patients in the hospital that are ours, and taking calls from the hospital regarding questions on inpatients. Because it is such a small hospital there usually aren't many patients in (Usually anywhere from 1-5 that I cover per weekend).

I am not being paid anything additional for taking call. I just assumed he would put some type of compensation in place but hasn't. So I am planning to have a discussion with him about this, but I don't know what is fair to ask for. I am not being worked "over time" because my average work week is only 35 hours currently. But I still feel that I should be compensated to some degree for taking on this new work load and responsibility. Any thoughts on this or similar experience is appreciated!!

ugh

you are giving away your services for FREE and you should have never done that with out nailing down the compensation BEFORE you did it.

Nursing home call stinks - stupid calls at all hours

never can you drink or be out of cell phone reach for the 33% of your weekends (they just stole that time from you with your permission)

So

I would say that you have to have a meeting quickly to figure it out

I assume you are billing for patients seen on the weekend?  so the practice is making money and not paying - so any time in the hospital should be 1.5 - 2 times your hourly rate - or better yet  - since you are unable to set up or schedule anything when you are on call as you have to see patients till you are done you should be paid for an 8 hour work day (believe me they are collecting a lot for your work) for each day you are committed for, and if you go over the 40 hour work week it should be 1.5 times.  Then for the overnights you should get 25% of the daily rate

They are abusing you and you are letting them.......

Archived