Clinical hands on help

In order to apply to the program at James madison university, I have to have 1,000 clinical hours. Currently I am working as a nurse aide at an elementary school. I have no medical certificates and this was the only place I could find that would allow me to be hands on with a patient. My mother and my aunt, however, are giving me a hard time and saying I need to find somewhere that gives more experience.

A mother of a sick child told me about a place that accepts all volunteers. Well I guess not anymore because they said I need qualifications. I'm totally at a loss here. I've checked with our local hospital and they won't give me anything either. My advisor for the program said try volunteer emt. Are there any other options I have? I wanted to work in a clinic.

You really need to have some involvement in the healthcare system beyond your current position, if only to better understand where you would fit in and whether or not you really want to work in the field. There are lots of threads here about that. People have gone the EMT route, STNA, PCA, phlebotomy, and many other ways. 

While different schools have different requirements, all expect you to understand the healthcare system and where you fit in it. And, before you shell out $100K or so and work very hard for 2 1/2 years, YOU should expect you to know as well.

This might delay you a bit, but as I've said before, it is best before climbing a ladder to know that it is leaning against the right wall.

Good luck.

Archived