How to professionally ask a PA for a LOR

I have shadowed about 4 PA's in different specialities. I have shadowed them each about 8-27 hours, but I have been to nervous to ask for a LOR. They all have been super nice and have offered additional hours of shadowing if needed, but I feel like such a burden asking them. I feel like even after 27 hours of shadowing they don't know me well enough to write one. PA's are always super busy and I hate asking them to even shadow.

I have so far gotten 1 person, my gen chem 1 professor to write me a letter. It was very easy to ask her because she came up to me and personally singled me out to commend me on my improvement in the class.

So, how did everyone else go about asking? I am applying for this cycle coming up, so my time is ticking! :)

Prepare a resume (no time like the present to start this!) and write a cover letter describing your interests and goals. Whenever possible give your letter writer 6-8 weeks lead time before the letter is actually due. Ask in person and if they accept, provide these printed materials. You may follow this up with emailed requests & documents if requested/needed. It's helpful to offer your letter writers a gentle reminder when the deadline is approaching (2, 3 wk ahead is probably safe). ALWAYS thank your letter writers personally. I'm fond of handwritten thank you notes but perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned. That said, if I am not thanked for putting in my precious time and resources to write a letter, you can bet I'm never gonna do it for you again. :)

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your responses. I will ask the PA's I have shadowed. I just get nervous because LORs are so important, so I want a personal one...but I am sure they know this considering theyve obviously been through the application process. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your responses. I will ask the PA's I have shadowed. I just get nervous because LORs are so important, so I want a personal one...but I am sure they know this considering theyve obviously been through the application process. Thanks again!

The resume/CV and cover letter help them make it a personal letter--I've always found this very helpful. Good luck!

Archived