EMT, CNA, or Surg tech?

So I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into PA school this round. I will graduate in May and back home I work in a neurological rehab center as a residential aide. Should I stay there and/or get certified as an EMT, CNA, or surgical tech? Typically surg tech is a two year degree, but with my degree I could do it in a year. Thanks!

I asked myself this exact question a year ago when I was considering applying to PA school.  I ended up getting certified as an EMT and am currently in medic school. As an EMT, you learn many skills that will be useful down the road and a lot more about patient assessment than you would as a CNA. I feel that my experience as an EMT/medic is invaluable and will put me a step ahead in PA school. Don't know much about surgical tech though..still lacks the patient assessment aspect.

EMT hands down, you can go through a course while staying at your current job. Also, don't neglect other aspects of your application as well (volunteering both clinical and non-clinical, shadowing, GRE, shoring up solid LOR's, etc you already know all of this I'm sure)

Archived