Asked about MCAT in PA interview?

Has anyone been asked if they took the MCAT in a PA interview? I was and I never took MCAT, but the theme of my interview seemed as though they were suggesting I should and then immediately sent me a rejection letter the next day in the mail. Anyone have experience with this situation?

In the interviews I've had so far they didnt ask anything about the MCAT but I almost always got the "why not med school" question which is somewhat similar. In that situation dont just say no I didnt take the MCAT and move on to the next question. I would explain that I have observed, worked with, and researched a variety of health professionals and while I strongly considered med school...I have decided PA suits me better because of blah blah blah.

Every question is an opportunity to share something/prove your maturity/readiness to be a PA. When given a question take a moment to consider what they are trying to learn from you by asking that.

Yeah, it seemed very atypical to me and I was frustrated once I received the rejection letter b/c I felt as if I had no shot to get in from the beginning once they asked that question.  It seemed like they were "pinning" me as needing to go to medical school b/c I have a significant background in leadership experiences and good grades.  It seemed unfair and I was just wondering if anyone else had this type of experience

I can really understand where you're coming from. The adcoms at one school even said I could get into med school but I think the point is to show that you've seriously considered other options but are 100% committed to PA. When they brought up my strong leadership experiences as being favorable for med school, I flat out told them I don't want to see all "the leaders" going on to become doctors because the PA profession needs leaders too and explained the reasons why. They seemed happy with my answer and I have been accepted to every school I interviewed at so far.

If you felt that the first question "pinned you" from the beginning, there is a chance that they probably saw that at the interview. Take the steering wheel a little more, they can give you directions but ultimately you're the one driving the car.

The MCAT question is really a question that requires a similar answer to "Why PA and not MD or DO or RN or NP ect?" The school wants to see that you really and truly want to be a PA and that PA isn't just your fall back from med school. A girl at one of my interviews got completely chewed up by the interviewers for being on the fence about med school. 

Honestly, there are plenty of PA students that would have no problem getting into med school. However, being qualified for something does not necessarily mean that it is what you want to do with your career and life. As Aivi said, schools want to see that you are 100% committed to the PA profession and aren't going to be harboring regrets that you didn't go to med school. Make sure you make that clear at any future interviews.

Archived