Medic Professional Development Advice needed

Greetings forum,

I am an American working as a remote area paramedic (RAP) in Western Australia. The community I look after are men/women oil and gas workers. The population on site is Aprox. 5000. I operate autonomously, however I do have a doctor I can get advice from if I have a difficult case. Cases range from primary care to medical / trauma emergencies. I have been working as a RAP for about 3 years now, before that I had numerous years on road as a metro paramedic. I hold 2 paramedical science degrees, and 1 post grad intensive care degree.

I love my job, it is very satisfying, and being so remote can be quite challenging. I have always wanted to get a PA qualification, but as usual "life" and "work" have gotten in the way.

My question is this; are there any online avenues I can pursue to further my career towards getting a PA qualification?

Thanks in advance,

In short NO.  

The vast majority of PA programs are masters degree programs, which require some sort of thesis or research project as part of the course work.  In addition, ALL programs will require a minimum number of rotations in various areas of medicine including OBGYN, ER, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pysch, etc...on average it is a year or so of full time clinical rotations in addition to the approx year of lectures.

Then you must graduate, and sit for the PANCE.  Which is the Physician Assistant National Certification Exam, which covers all areas of general medicine.  Then you can call yourself a PA, and seek employment as one.  It is not simply an added qualification-- it is the educational preparation, clinical exposure, and national examination which prepares you to be a PROVIDER.   

In short NO.  

The vast majority of PA programs are masters degree programs, which require some sort of thesis or research project as part of the course work.  In addition, ALL programs will require a minimum number of rotations in various areas of medicine including OBGYN, ER, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pysch, etc...on average it is a year or so of full time clinical rotations in addition to the approx year of lectures.

Then you must graduate, and sit for the PANCE.  Which is the Physician Assistant National Certification Exam, which covers all areas of general medicine.  Then you can call yourself a PA, and seek employment as one.  It is not simply an added qualification-- it is the educational preparation, clinical exposure, and national examination which prepares you to be a PROVIDER.   

Thanks, that is what I thought :).

Greetings forum,

I am an American working as a remote area paramedic (RAP) in Western Australia. The community I look after are men/women oil and gas workers. The population on site is Aprox. 5000. I operate autonomously, however I do have a doctor I can get advice from if I have a difficult case. Cases range from primary care to medical / trauma emergencies. I have been working as a RAP for about 3 years now, before that I had numerous years on road as a metro paramedic. I hold 2 paramedical science degrees, and 1 post grad intensive care degree.

I love my job, it is very satisfying, and being so remote can be quite challenging. I have always wanted to get a PA qualification, but as usual "life" and "work" have gotten in the way.

My question is this; are there any online avenues I can pursue to further my career towards getting a PA qualification?

Thanks in advance,

Are you interested in staying in Australia to work? If you do not intend on being a PA in the US, look at JCU's PA program. It isn't exactly what you're looking for but it is the closest thing you'll likely find.

http://www-public.jcu.edu.au/courses/course_info/?userText=102010-#.UsmadmRDs38

"The first two years of the course are delivered via distance education; however, students are required to attend a number of on-campus residential blocks at the Townsville campus throughout this time. The final year of this course is a full year of clinical placement (with limited residential blocks). The clinical year of the course can be undertaken either full time (1 year) or on a part time basis (over 2 years). Through this method of course delivery, it is possible for practitioners to continue in their current work setting while developing new skills."

I have been working as a RAP for about 3 years now, before that I had numerous years on road as a metro paramedic. I hold 2 paramedical science degrees, and 1 post grad intensive care degree.

I think you have a tremendous amount of experience and education, but it doesn't appear to easily translate into an American degree. I wish there was some sort of bridge program for candidates like yourself who clearly are exceptionally well trained and possess the academic credentials to demonstrate it, albeit from a different country. Hopefully someone on this forum will have specific recommendations for you, such as contacting a PA program director who is open minded to someone with your background.

Try University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health PA program.  They have a distance program. I was their first graduate back in 2004.

Are you interested in staying in Australia to work? If you do not intend on being a PA in the US, look at JCU's PA program. It isn't exactly what you're looking for but it is the closest thing you'll likely find.

"The first two years of the course are delivered via distance education; however, students are required to attend a number of on-campus residential blocks at the Townsville campus throughout this time. The final year of this course is a full year of clinical placement (with limited residential blocks). The clinical year of the course can be undertaken either full time (1 year) or on a part time basis (over 2 years). Through this method of course delivery, it is possible for practitioners to continue in their current work setting while developing new skills."

Thanks for the info, I actually thought that program was shut down. I will look into that. Cheers.

I think you have a tremendous amount of experience and education, but it doesn't appear to easily translate into an American degree. I wish there was some sort of bridge program for candidates like yourself who clearly are exceptionally well trained and possess the academic credentials to demonstrate it, albeit from a different country. Hopefully someone on this forum will have specific recommendations for you, such as contacting a PA program director who is open minded to someone with your background.

I might just have to bite the bullet and take some time off from work, and go back to school full time :)

I had a look at the degree they are offering. Have any idea what kind of standing I would have in Australia if I completed their program? Are there even any job opportunities for PA's in Australia?

Archived