Should I go to my other interviews?

Hello all--

I'm pretty much set in my decision, but would still like some input.

I have been accepted to a school in Miami, paid the $1000 deposit, and I am already planning the move there.

However, I've been invited to two more interviews:

Midwestern in Phoenix

Baylor in Houston

So far, I haven't made any travel arrangements and plan not to go to the interviews, although I haven't officially cancelled them. Although these are very good schools, the locations aren't great for me. I currently live in the Northeast, but Florida is a much better choice for a move... my thoughts are:

• Miami will offer more job opportunities for my boyfriend, and my mother and sister are planning to move to Florida as well.
  • I can see myself living in Miami or Florida after PA school, whereas I wouldn't want to stay in either of those other locations.
  • This is already a big move and I don't want to have to do another one after just two years.
  • I'm more likely to make connections/network during rotations, so it will be easier to find a job near where I went to school.
  • Considering all of this, there is no point to spend more money flying out to interviews (at least $500 each), I'm finally done being broke and able to start saving up for the move.

Do you think these are valid reasons to base this decision on?

I appreciate your thoughts!

How much do you like the school in Miami? Is it a good fit for you? If yes, I would forget the other interviews.

I was in a similar situation - I was accepted to one of the Nova's.  I live in the Midwest, and have always wanted to move to Florida.  A lot of my family lives there, my parents are moving down there soon, I am sick of the cold/snow, etc.  However, I was unimpressed when I interviewed there and didn't feel like it was a good fit for me.  I ended up deciding to go to a different school that is in the Midwest and a little more expensive because I loved it and know I will be happy there.  I know it will be harder for me to get a job in Florida when I graduate, but I figured if I really want it, I can make it happen.  Good luck to you!

I had additional interview dates set the week after my first acceptance letter arrived. I went to one as a comparison of the programs and curiosity over their interview process.

Long story short, I got into that school as well. Having options is nice, and sometimes you just get a much better vibe at one place versus another. If it won't break the bank, I'd say go to at least one of the other interviews. You'll be ten times more relaxed, as you've got nothing to lose.

if you have your heart set on FL, why bother spending time, money, and stress on over-thinking different locations. 

it seems like you've already considered the pros and cons to each location.

i'd say go with your instinct and stick with it.  of course, respectfully decline the other interviews.

Thank you all for your input! It really helps solidify my decision.

I really think that the school in Miami makes the most sense for me and my family and I can definitely see myself being happy there. Like iyoojin said, I don't want to spend time, money and stress going to the other interviews, especially when I'm sure that even if they accept me, I wouldn't choose to go there over Miami.

Best of luck to everyone!

Baylor is a top-ranked school and is housed in the largest medical center in the world. Even though you aren't too keen on Houston, it might be worth checking out. It's also one of the more affordable private schools. They also offer to put interviewees up with current students, so you wouldn't have to shell out additional money for a hotel. I think that the offer of interviewee housing says a lot about a program. 

That being said, I too, was offered an interview at Baylor, but declined the invitation, having already accepted a spot at another program. It's a tough decision, and ultimately, you need to do what makes sense for you. If you know in your gut that you're not going to want to attend Baylor or Midwestern, save yourself the hassle and stress of an interview. That's what helped me make the decision for myself. 

I ended up going to a school other than the first one that accepted me, but it had a lot of advantages. If you're happy with where you were accepted and don't want to spend money you don't have to go on others, then call and cancel. If you think you might learn something new and can afford it, then go. 

Archived