HCE issues

Does anybody have advice on how to get certified for health care experience quickly? I have tried applying for phlebotomy jobs (my state does not require certification) but I can't get a job. It's kind of a catch 22 though because my classes won't allow me to take any CNA classes this semester because the local technical school's hours don't line up with mine. I'm now forced to do summer classes which might also cut into my work hours which is bad because I have to pay my own college. What do I do? Should I move my schedule for next semester around or wait until summer? I'm a sophomore in college but I can't help but feel like a sitting duck. I've recently started volunteer at a hospital for the last two months but I feel like starting my HCE by my junior year leaves me with too little time to rack up HCE by the time I graduate. Any ideas?

Sounds like you can either wait until you are done with undergrad then get some type of certification and start getting HCE.  Or take a short leave from undergrad to free up hours for a training program; EMT or CNA comes to mind and then work at that HCE job while you are in undergrad.  Either way you are completing required objectives, the order in which you pursue them doesn't matter nearly as much as how well you complete them. 

Do well in undergrad.

Keep in mind that the 'quality' of HCE is specific to each PA school.  Meaning, phlebotomy might not fly as previous HCE to school A but could be acceptable at school B while something like RT or paramedic would hold more weight.  Take a look at the programs you are considering and see what's what.

Lastly, the Physician Assistant training was originally designed to take already trained military personnel (corpsman and medics) from the Vietnam era and increase their scope of practice upon a foundation of experience and skill sets they all had.  PA school wasn't meant to take someone with no experience and turn them into a clinician, that's what medical school is for.  Give yourself time, don't rush your experience, refine yourself.

The easiest way is probably to get a PT job as an MA.  Half of your job will probably be clerical work, but the other half could be patient interaction - even if it's simple tasks like height/weight, taking temperature, etc.  In my experience/area where I live, most don't require certification, so it's just a matter of finding a job.  Like they said above though, some schools might look at the "quality", so I would just find out from the schools you're interested in applying.  Good luck!

I took a CNA course through a private company that had classes late in the evenings, and I imagine there are similar courses offered for EMTs. There may be some good training out there that would fit your schedule. 

Nathan: The 'private company' you are referring to, is it accredited?

Anyone: Does anyone know if Physician Assistant schools care if your HCE is accredited and/or licensed?

Don't worry about it now.  Concentrate on getting good grades, as it will be very difficult to improve a low GPA.  Take the traditional PA student path: finish school, then get a job in healthcare, then apply to PA programs.

Gain experience that is large in quantity and high in quality; HCE is not a binary "have it or don't" requirement, it's a defining characteristic of your application and of you as an applicant. 

Gaining this experience will be nigh impossible working part-time while in school, as the 2000 hours minimum is equivalent to one year of full-time (40 hours/week, 50 weeks/year) work.  Most PA students don't enter directly out of college, you don't need to either.  If that's what you want to do, look at MD/DO programs instead-they're looking for this type of applicant.

whoRyou:  see my reply in the thread you started. 

Archived