Is this too much information for a personal statement?

I'm looking to apply to PA schools next year and although I haven't written my personal statement as of yet I've been giving it a lot of thought. Well a big part of my life is that I'm in recovery. When I was younger I got caught up in the wrong things and long story short my life was going nowhere. I was 21, homeless and addicted to Heroin. My family didn't want me and I truly knew what being alone meant. I'm lucky though, for some reason or another I was arrested and sent to live in a therapeutic community. I never really thought that I could change but little by little I started to enjoy life again, I realized I didn't need to get high to feel good about myself and I put a hell of a lot of work into myself. I went back to school and got interested in the PA profession, I would love to help people; I truly felt like that was what I was meant for. When I was getting high I didn't care about anyone including myself. Now that's changed. I am about to make 3 years clean and sober and I know that doesn't sound like a  hell of a long time but I know if I do what I have to do and be honest then I can continue living clean and sober. Sorry for the story haha I just wanted to ask if you guys think mentioning this in a personal statement will be an automatic rejection? I want the committee to want to meet me and I feel this may tweak somebodies interest somewhere but I could be just digging a hole for myself. I wouldn't feel right writing an essay where I'm not being totally truthful. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. If anyone has time to give me their thoughts I would appreciate it so much. Thank you in advance!

I don't think that it's wrong to include that information, after all a personal statement is supposed to be personal.  That being said, you will need to frame your experiences in a way that demonstrates that you will be a better clinician because of it.  If you have spent time helping others with their recoveries, focus on that, and mention your ability connect/empathize/understand due to your background.  Make it less about your addiction/recovery and more about how you will be a good provider.  The desire to help others is important, but you will need to explain why you would do better helping people as a PA, instead of a substance abuse counselor, nurse, physician or social worker.  Good luck, and remember that your application will also need good grades, test scores and HCE.   

Archived