New Grad PA Reference Books in Urgent Care

Hi all! I just graduated in August and started working for Urgent Care this week.  I was curious what resource materials other Urgent Care providers would recommend.  I've already ordered Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures, but am looking for a procedure text and any other helpful resources.  Thanks! 

"Procedures for primary care physicians" is the one that everyone in our office likes.  I have used "essential clinical procedures" by Dehn and Asprey and like it a lot.  As far as a reference text for UC I'd recommend the "Emergency medicine manual by O. John Ma and David M. Cline (it's basically the abridged Tintanalli's) which was recommended to me by an ER doc I precepted with and I really like it.  It reviews local blocks, lac repairs, and basically everything we're going to see and then some.  For fractures/ortho stuff, you need "Essentials of musculoskeletal care." 

Good luck. 

Andrew

Epocrates

5 minute clinical consult

5-minute Emergency

loaded on some type of electronic device that you can reference many times quickly through the day

I have no experience with Epocrates PRO but some people say it is also good

Radioly reading book for extremity films and CXR

then some type of procedure book as above

most importantly a good mentor!

• 6 months later...

This is a bit late in the game, but I  just came across this forum. I found this resource at the AAPA conference in Boston, it's the most up-to-date on the market and takes you through the entire patient treatment plan in bullet points from presentation to disposition. I bought the eBook format so I can search on my phone at the clinic and absolutely love it. It looks like they have an urgent care CME program too! http://www.urgentcareeducation.com/urgent-care-medicine-textbook.html

Archived