Moonlighting & Noncompete in Contract

I'm about to sign a contract for part-time work at an OB/GYN office.  LOVE the job.  The first draft of the contract states:

Any additional work commitments offered to PA will need to be authorized by Employer.  Employment may be authorized, provided there are no overt conflicts of interest, schedule conflicts with employer, or ethical concerns regarding employer.

Noncompete:  OB/GYN or routine women's health care within 6 miles for 1 year following termination.

What do you think?  Pretty standard, right?

My previous job was with an abortion provider, and the current SP is pro-life.  So, I think that's where the "ethical concerns" thing comes in.  I did tell my old job that I could work a Saturday here and there for them if needed.  So, I'd have to clear that with the new SP.  If he said no, no biggie.  

We're in the suburbs.  Lots of hospitals and doctors offices around.  I'm thinking of just asking him to decrease to 5 miles.

Wait, there is a non-compete with part-time work?  That seems like it is unnecessary.  You are not there FT, so obviously you would have another job.  Also, if you wanted to get a FT job or another PT job, why would your PT job have to okay you for this? It seems like that could work out where your PT job is preventing you from working other places in your chosen field.  Most of the PT contracts I have seen eliminated the non-compete type of clauses due to it being PT and thus not really enforceable.  Why would you sign a non-compete for a PT?  Is this common?

I would say part time work does not get a non-compete UNLESS they want to pay you for it.....  the courts commonly look at rather a non-compete has any consideration attached to it.  So if he/she wants a non-compete i would "sell" it to them for $25,000 per year (your effort of having tro travel)

Otherwise no way no how

Archived