Cell Biology or Immunology?

I am preparing for my last semester of undergrad and have two PA school interviews coming up. Therefore, in my last semester I am trying to decide whether to take cell biology or immunology. Both are recommended courses at the schools I am interviewing at (not that it matters much anymore), but I want to take whichever course would better prepare me for PA school if/when I do get in (hopefully this year!!). What would you suggest? Cell biology or immunology?

Thank you!

I took Cell Bio this summer and I am in Immunology right now.  Immunology leans heavily on the cell pathways learned in Cell Bio, and I am glad I had that background walking in to Immuno.  However, there are plenty of people in the class who did not have Cell Bio before enrolling in immunology and they are doing just fine.  From what I have heard at interviews, more and more schools are headed toward requiring Immuno and Genetics prior to matriculation.  So if you are in a time crunch and cannot take both Cell Bio before or at the same time as Immuno, I would pick Immuno.

Thanks dcbrown! Unfortunately I don't have time to take both if I do get into PA school this cycle, but if I don't I plan on taking more classes. Genetics was actually a requirement for one of the school I applied to, so I have taken that and thought it was a great course! I could definitely see it becoming a requirement for more PA schools. 

I learned a ton from taking Cell Bio w/Lab. It was the eukaryotic analog of microbiology, so it definitely helped fill in the gaps of prokaryotic vs eukaryotic. It gave me specific knowledge as to receptors, ligands, cell signaling, kinases, etc. I especially appreciated learning about RAS-activation systems and how it plays into various cancers.

I have not yet taken immunology, but it seems immunology might be best learned either after cell bio or at the same time. Good luck!

You could really use both but this is your last semester; therefore I would pick cell bio. Taking immunology without cell bio as a prerequisite could set you up to fail. As a practicing primary care PA, I use the principals I learned in immunology every day, and having the background course in undergrad helped with the immunology course I took in PA school as well.....

Archived