ok, now this needs to stop-govt shutdown :)

I'm writing a research paper and discovered that both pubmed and the national institutes of health are open with decreased staff due to the govt shutdown decreasing availability of online medical resources.

PubMed is open, however it is being maintained with minimal staffing due to the lapse in government funding. Information will be updated to the extent possible, and the agency will attempt to respond to urgent operational inquiries. For updates regarding government operating status see USA.gov.

closing national monuments is one thing but interfering with my academic progress is serious business.....:)

Yeah, I was discussing this today.  With the way schools are set up 99% of students (no data to determine this just going by my program and extrapolating outward) pay for it with loans which are government.  With a default, that would likely either go away (hard to imagine) or have the interest rate shoot up even more than it currently is (there is a precedent for this).  Or, I can see a 3rd option come to fruition, one that you basically are forced into the NHSC or military or the like in order to pay for it.  Either way, the ones that will hurt the most from the changes and possible shutdown will be the students currently enrolled in a program.  What would happen if funding was cut midway through?

Also, as a veteran, I have issue with shutting down memorials, and closing down nature parks to a lesser extent.  As a student for life, I definitely have issue with negative impact on medical resources.  I feel your pain EMEDPA.

Archived