derm offer... please help!!!

I received my official offer for derm! I am very excited to get into the field, but I want to make sure I negotiate a good contract. As it stands, definite changes need to be made. Any input is greatly appreciated.

65k base salary with incentive bonus to be paid monthly with % as follows

320k 10%

440k 12.5%

480k 15%

1500 CME no limit on days

only professional fees covered are AAD, and "dermatology PA fees"

malpractice claims made no tail covered

health ins covered

9 days holiday pay

1st year 10 days PTO then years 1-5 = 20 days PTO

renegotiation and re-eval at 6 months

3 year contract states I can not terminate, if I do there is a 25k buyout

noncomepete 3 years and 50 miles

Personally, 3 years, buyout, and noncompete are a NO GO/ NO DEAL if that isn't changed, but I need help please. How should this be changed to be more reasonable? I think all professional fees should be covered, 2500 CME, 15 days PTO 1st year, 1 year contract, 75k base are more acceptable.

I think you should evaluate whether or not those productivity limits are attainable.  Otherwise you are going to be spinning your wheels for a nurse's salary, with no way out.  I think derm PAs average $110K or more a year.  The ones that work in Mohs in my city make upwards of $200K, several with less than 5 years as a PA.  I'm not sure where you are located, but $60K base salary seems cheap.

• 1 month later...

No tail coverage...hmmm. What about the missed melanoma that ends up being dx 3 yrs later after you froze "the SK". Are you a member of SDPA? If not, you might want to consider. Their forum is phenomenal. Great advice on topics like this.

As far as the numbers - easily attainable with adequate support staff (MAs), rooms & a bit of experience. Are you new to derm? What will you be seeing (acne, warts only or full medical derm; cosmetics?) What is the insurance demographics. Will you have full access to billing/collection numbers...

25k buyout if you resign? YIKES! How many other. PAs/NPs are employed there? Have u spoken w them? Find them - now (LinkedIn, phone book, parking lot).

Again, I can't recommend the Society of Dermatology PAs enough.

Archived