Applying for Positions

I'll be a new grad in May. It kind of feels weird to say that. Our class has had two speakers tell us opposing things. One says we should apply for jobs now. One says to wait until after the first of the year. One also said not to wait until after passing the PANCE to look for a job. So I guess my questions are, is there any harm in applying for positions now? Is there any benefit to applying now or waiting for a couple months? Does it matter what state the job is located? I've heard some states require a job offer before you can obtain a license and other states where it takes months to get one even if you have an offer. Does it matter the area of medicine (primary care vs specialty) or type of practice (provider-owned vs large organization)?

It's been over two decades since I've applied for a job (demonstrating employment stability for sure, but a lot has changed in that time). For example, many jobs are listed online but do not give company information. Most of the time, there's not a person to talk to in order to answer questions. So I'm a little gun-shy. This entire experience has pushed me way outside my comfort zone (mostly in a very positive way). Any thoughtful answers would be appreciated.

No harm in starting now, but IMO its a little early. Those employers advertising now are looking to fill positions, and are unlikely to be willing to wait for someone who won't be ready to start work for another 8-9 months. They understand that the licensing and credentialing process for new grads can be slow (worse in some states than others) but eight months is a long time.

I applied and received offers in the two-three months leading up to my graduation. At that point, I was able to tell prospective employers exactly when I would be taking the PANCE, and detailed plans about the licensing process. They were able to discuss their credentialing and we determined together what my estimated start date would be. It worked out well for me, but I warn you that there will be students in your class accepting job offers well before you. Don't let it freak you out. You'll find something great.

Edit: Oh, and I definitely would not wait until after the PANCE to start applying. The process from application to interview to offer to start date can take months. If you start it after the PANCE you'll sitting on your loans without a source of income for a long while.

Archived