Newly certified PA-need advice

Hey All!

I need some advice but first some background. I graduated Dec. 2010--I was a good student and overall, did well in PA school. I took PANCE on 6/11-didnt pass. In the meantime I worked for my father (nonmedical/business), since it seemed like he was spread way too thin and needed some help due to my mom's quiting of the family business for health reason. This I expected to last about 6 months to a year but due to the slow economy, we were unable to tie up all his business interests without suffering a huge loss and so the time dragged on. During this time my mom's health took a turn for worse and then my dad's health-- I did all that needed to be done (on the business end and managing their health) and now overall everyone is doing well and in a better position (health and business-wise). So now its been over 2.5 years since graduation, I took my PANCE-8/13--PASSED! Have all my license paperwork in and do not expect anything to delay the already long process.

Now, how do I explain all this during an interview process?? I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, or long winded. Life happens and I did the best I could, especially since it concerned my parents livelihood and health-no regrets! Plus, even though I kept up with my studies, read up on new medical advancements and have added to my CME 1&2 hours since certification, I am like a new grad as far as clinical experience goes. What jobs do I look for?  Do I mention my first PANCE? Also I probably have to do the "reentry" into medicine process for my license. Anyone familar with that process? How do I approach my potential job interviews with that? I hope this all made sense.

Thank you in advance.

Life, like $hit, happens.

Everyone knows this.

Folks get cancer in their MS4 year, and lose ability to interview and match..

You graduated from PA school

$hit happened. You couldn't start until you cleaned up that stuff.

You took the exam and now are ready to go.

Look for hiring new grads jobs ( watch out for burning-out-newbie-milks that hire, overwhelm , burn you out, and force you to move on to save your license or sanity), in which you will. Be mentored and nursed along while you learn this trade.

Accept the fact that you reallynarebnot worth that much to an employer at this point, and your salary may be lower than your peers.. Trade off the salary for learning.. Earn more later as you produce more.

Family practice,

Urgent care.

Internal medicine

General surgery

All okay if they understand that you will need close mentoring initially

You did learn a lot in school..

Hopefully you had a good amount of HCE previously, so you have mental memory tracks embedded that you can call on..

If not, you will need to work a little harder, and embed new tracks as quickly raps possible.

Get the interview.

Sell yourself.

Do not bring up the $hit unless it is asked for.. And then answer truthful and succinctly that the extingices of life caused you to put your professional life on hold for awhile..

Think .. Pregnancy after graduation which precluded starting her career right away.

Employers will understand.

You do not have an employment "gap" per se.

You should be okay.

Life, like $hit, happens.

Everyone knows this.

Folks get cancer in their MS4 year, and lose ability to interview and match..

You graduated from PA school

$hit happened. You couldn't start until you cleaned up that stuff.

You took the exam and now are ready to go.

Look for hiring new grads jobs ( watch out for burning-out-newbie-milks that hire, overwhelm , burn you out, and force you to move on to save your license or sanity), in which you will. Be mentored and nursed along while you learn this trade.

Accept the fact that you reallynarebnot worth that much to an employer at this point, and your salary may be lower than your peers.. Trade off the salary for learning.. Earn more later as you produce more.

Family practice,

Urgent care.

Internal medicine

General surgery

All okay if they understand that you will need close mentoring initially

You did learn a lot in school..

Hopefully you had a good amount of HCE previously, so you have mental memory tracks embedded that you can call on..

If not, you will need to work a little harder, and embed new tracks as quickly raps possible.

Get the interview.

Sell yourself.

Do not bring up the $hit unless it is asked for.. And then answer truthful and succinctly that the extingices of life caused you to put your professional life on hold for awhile..

Think .. Pregnancy after graduation which precluded starting her career right away.

Employers will understand.

You do not have an employment "gap" per se.

You should be okay.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly

how about a residency?

Archived