Fork in the road...

I have been in my specialty for almost 2 years but have always wanted to get into a different specialy. I have finally had an opportunity come up that allows me to switch into my desired field. We are currently negotiating and I have just found out I'm pregnant mid negotiations. Now I have quite the delema. Do I stay where I'm at (they are family friendly and will let me have maternity leave etc) or switch to a new job? If i do switch, do I tell them before signing my contract or wait until after the first trimester? The new job currently has 3 PAs with one of them currently pregnant too. I don't want to miss the chance for my dream job but not sure what to do. Should I be honest with new potential doc and hopefully she is ok with it. I hate to leave where I'm at knowing they are so accepting and will be great during the pregnancy. Advice please!

I just had 2 kids and went through a similar situation.  They are now 2 1/2 and 11 months.  I stayed with the old job because I knew they would go easy on me if I needed to rest during the pregnancy, give me plenty of time to pump at work (which sometimes meant 3x/day!) go part time after my 12 weeks off, and be generally very flexible.  It worked out great.  I kept my eye out all the time for my dream job, but never found it.  Finally when baby #2 was 9 months, I sent cold call letters to OB/GYNs in my neighborhood and one of them just hired me!  So, I finally found my dream job and stayed with the old job through babyhood.  When I had my new babies, I didn't care about what kind of work I was doing, just how that job could work for us.

Pregnancy is not a state that MUST be disclosed.  If I'm not mistaken, they can't ask that question. They are hiring a female of child-bearing age, so they should expect this possibility.  However, honesty is always best.  If they realize later that you hid this information from them, then it may tarnish your relationship.  I would wait and see if they make you an offer.  If they do, I recommend accepting and telling them you are pregnant.  Good luck!

I am leaning towards taking the new job. It is what I want to be doing long term and will be best for my family in the long run. I would be able to work 4 days a week (currently working 3-4), better pay, and I really enjoy it. I know I don't have to tell them I am just worried about tarnishing the relationship in the long run. Also, if they have a problem with it, I do have my current job to fall back on. I have a 14 month old and my current job was great during that pregnancy and after allowing part time upon returning and pump breaks. Just so torn with disclosing the pregnancy or taking the position and informing them later on.

I am leaning towards taking the new job. It is what I want to be doing long term and will be best for my family in the long run. I would be able to work 4 days a week (currently working 3-4), better pay, and I really enjoy it. I know I don't have to tell them I am just worried about tarnishing the relationship in the long run. Also, if they have a problem with it, I do have my current job to fall back on. I have a 14 month old and my current job was great during that pregnancy and after allowing part time upon returning and pump breaks. Just so torn with disclosing the pregnancy or taking the position and informing them later on.

You just found out that you're pregnant, right? Most people don't tell people/employers until they're around 13 weeks along. I would be really surprised if they were upset that you waited to tell them until you were further along. I mean, around here it's just standard protocol to not tell the employer until the second trimester.

Archived