Re-applying to PA school after withdrawing

I was in a PA program over ten years ago but had to withdraw due to medical illness during the program. It was an extremely painful decision but at the time I felt it was the best decision I could make for my health. Now after many years I am considering re-applying.

How much of a negative impact do you think my withdrawal will have on my application? I know CASPA does ask if you have been enrolled before so I'm expecting for the subject to come up. Does it make me appear to be less motivated or unfit to complete a program? I'm sure some would complain that I took a spot away from someone else which makes a very bad impression.

When I withdrew I had an overall 3.2 GPA. I wasn't a stellar student (a few C's on my transcript) but I completed the entire first year.

Do you know of anyone who withdrew and then was later able to re-apply and gain admission a second time?

I really have nothing to base this on, as this is my first cycle applying, but I feel like a lot of it could have to do with what exactly the medical illness was that caused you to withdrawal. If you withdrew for a legitimate medical issue that would clearly prevent you from attending to the rigors of PA school, then I have a hard time seeing how anyone could look at that negatively. Like Steve said, I would think the fact that you made it through, but still had the desire to complete PA school would be looked at favorably. Although, some might wonder why it took you 10 years to try again. But once again, that could have something to do with the medical issue.

Archived