Do I have a good chance.....?

Ok based on my grades only do I have a good chance of getting in Western?

Bio I- C retook for B

Bio II-will take

Chem I- B

Chem II-C

O.Chem I-C

O.Chem II-will take

Microbiology-A

Physics-A

Anatomy-B

Physiology-B

Statistics-A

Based on my grades only I just want to see if I have a good chance of getting in. My overall GPA is about 3.2 Experience is 1500 hours Medical Assistant with Podiatry X-Ray Certificate from 2004-2006, worked in scheduling at major hospital 4000 hours from 2006-2008 and bow Pharmacy Tech 2008-current 1500+ hours. I am going for my BA or BS in the fall and plan to graduate with that in about a year and a half to two years. Any advice on how to improve my chances.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to take classes over and you need a tutor. If your school offers free tutoring take advantage of it. You hce is also very low....only 1500hrs. You hce as a pharm tech is considered 3rd tier...the lowest. You have a lot of work ahead of you but you have to ask yourself why you score so low in the core sciences. Is it work related or you just can't get a grasp of the hard sciences. Whatever the reason you need help with your studies. If tutoring isn't offered then get yourself in a good study group or start one.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t been on the forums for a while, and I felt I should give some input. I'm a 1st year at WesternU, and here is my perspective:

Every program has its good and bad, believe me. It took me 3 years to get into PA school, and I've had my share of interviews on the West Coast. So here are the facts: large class size, majority of faculty graduated from WesternU, and tuition is like 10K a semester. Western does not really try to "sell" the school, and it really doesn't need to. It is not the best school out there, but they don't have a problem filling 98 seats and have enough of an influence on CAPA to not have to (for you interviewees, you should know CAPA). They are very concerned with how you plan on tackling the large course load, and the loss of your personal life. This emphasis is with reason; they want you to graduate (THEY REALLY WANT YOU TO GRADUATE). Thus, they work very hard so students will matriculate. I think WesternU was the only program to have such prominent educational resources and such a supporting staff to help students. Western does not like losing students, not even 1. It sucks for you to work so hard and lose your spot, and they lose $$ too. Now, for the bad....well just think the opposite of what I said.

For those who don't know, generally speaking WesternU does not do rolling admissions. HOWEVER, they are known to accept those who they feel are exceptional. This may include applicants with exceptional stats to students who are re-applicants.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM.

• 9 months later...

I would say based on those stats you would not get in.

Your overall GPA is too low, your pre-requisite GPA is too low, and you didn't mention anything about community service. To make yourself competitive you should do everything in your power to get a 4.0 from here on out and get at least 100 hrs of community service in the next year. C's in Chem II and Ochem is not good. Retake.

I interviewed last year and was put on the hold list. My overall GPA was 3.15, but my pre-requisite GPA was 3.8, and I had a 4.0 GPA in my last 50 units. I slacked off big time as an undergrad and I ended up going back to school to take most of the pre-requisites. I have 7000+ hrs as an EMT. Only had 100 hrs of community service at time of interview.

I did the phone conference with one of the conselors and she told me I had perfect marks in every category except GPA and community service. So I've been volunteering a bunch since and took another class. I can't do much to my GPA since I have 230+ units.

I would also suggest shadowing multiple PAs.

Good luck

Archived