Applicants for 2014 Program Start

Hello,

I haven't seen a post with regards to UNM for quite a while? I just relocated to NM with my wife who just got a job with Presbyterian. I just submitted my CASPA application, but no idea how difficult it is getting an interview and/or acceptance into the program. Is there anyone else out there applying to UNM? Is there anyone out there how is in the UNM PA program now and has any insight? I'm studying for my GRE now and will take it in the next month along with CHEM II, otherwise I have all the required prerequisites with a science GPA of 3.6 and Bachelors Program GPA of 3.47 despite CASPA's ridiculous GPA calculation, I"m hoping prospective schools will or can see beyond it. I know that UNM is under probation sort of speak, but from my research it appears to just be a technicality. Any response(s) would be appreciated.

I'm not applying this cycle, but my older cousin just started the 2013 cycle a couple months ago. From what she said, as long as you are a NM resident and have strong ties to the state, it is fairly straight forward to get an interview. If you don't, you really have to shine on paper to be considered. They are interested in keeping students trained at UNM in NM instead of leaving so you would also have to demonstrate that. They take a more holistic view with their applicants too. My cousin was out of school for almost 5 years and worked as a radiology tech for that time, she had low GRE scores and okay GPA. All things considered, her extensive HCE and shadowing doctors helped her with admissions too. Hope that helps!

I'm not applying this cycle, but my older cousin just started the 2013 cycle a couple months ago. From what she said, as long as you are a NM resident and have strong ties to the state, it is fairly straight forward to get an interview. If you don't, you really have to shine on paper to be considered. They are interested in keeping students trained at UNM in NM instead of leaving so you would also have to demonstrate that. They take a more holistic view with their applicants too. My cousin was out of school for almost 5 years and worked as a radiology tech for that time, she had low GRE scores and okay GPA. All things considered, her extensive HCE and shadowing doctors helped her with admissions too. Hope that helps!

Yes, that helps a lot! My wife just got a job working for Presbyterian, and I have an interview with them this week to hopefully get a job as a Nurse Tech. Unfortunately, I had to submit my CASPA before I could show that on my application. I did show my new address in NM so hopefully that will catch their eye, and I was going to try to contact somebody at the school to determine how to provide added information since CASPA locks you out. Do you or your cousin by chance have a contact name (ex. program advisor)? Doesn't have to be a board member, just the person that typically compiles info and provides basic Q & A for applicants. Again, thank you for you help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived