• 2 months later...

I've only had three rotations.  So far, my first rotation was in a Private Internal Medicine Practice in Rhode Island.

I can assure you, it was a great experience.  First day, the Doctor explained his process, the fast pace, and the efficiency of his practice and that's what he expects from his PA's, then handed each of us a patient file and told us to go.  Have a Review of Systems, Physical Exam, Differential Diagnosis, your actual diagnosis, and your idea of management by the time you return.  I literally felt like I was practicing as a PA already.  I saw 20 - 30 patients a day myself at that practice.

Other rotations have been completely opposite, some slower, more focused on learning to write efficient patient notes and following the same patient for longer periods of time.  My 2nd was at Boston VA, and now back at a private Pediatrician office.

My next few will be Brigham and Women's for Cardiac Surgery which is my elective.

However, there are bigger hospitals to choose from and other ones for your elective such as Beth Israel, Brigham, Tufts, VA, Lahey Clinic, etc.

Keep in mind, just because the bigger and famous the hospital, doesn't mean the better.  I've heard good and bad things about the bigger hospitals, but from personal experience, private practices basically have you run the show with adequate guidance.

• 5 months later...

I agree with Gillum about the bigger hospitals.  When I was at MCPHS Boston, I had the opportunity to do surgery at Mass General or Brigham and Women's etc, both outstanding hospitals.  But, I chose to go to a small hospital in East Boston, Whidden hospital.  It was an amazing experience.  I was able to first assist in every single surgical case, as well as have one on one contact with every attending surgeon.  I'm not saying that the big hospital rotations would be a negative experience, not at all.  I just think that it is important to realize, as Gillum said, there are definitely benefits to having some rotations at the smaller Boston/Cambridge hospitals.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived