Apply this cycle?

I have started a CASPA app, but I'm not 100% sure I should apply this cycle. I am currently taking microbiology this summer, and will receive an A unless I mess up in the last 2 weeks. However, I still have 3 pre-reqs scheduled to take in the fall. I'm registered for physiology, physiology lab, biochemistry, and genetics.

I haven't even asked for LORs yet, as I'm not sure sure if I'm applying yet. I am meeting with a PA today, but I would need to do more shadowing beyond that.

I have about 800 hrs of HCE and I have a pretty strong volunteer background. My GPA is 3.56 and my GRE is slightly above average.

Considering most schools have rolling apps, and a lot of people have already applied, what would you do? I'm thinking about waiting until next cycle because I would be able to apply to a lot more schools when I have my pre-reqs completed and more HCE.

Also, my university does not have a general biology 2. I know a lot of schools require this. Has anyone had this issue? Perhaps they will accept Zoology (which has Biology 1 as a pre-req)?

IMHO, you have nothing really to lose except money. But that being said, it's sort of a personal choice, since money is sometimes precious. :)

I have applied with prerequisites in progress, after a careful examination of my schools to make sure that they would allow this.

As for the Biology 2 thing, you might also check if your schools would allow an online Biology 2. There is an extensive sticky note in the Pre-PA section on online classes, and many of them are just as rigorous as on campus and even have labs associated with them. You would have to do your research on the best fit for you, but it's worth looking in to.

Good luck. :)

I think you should wait. Going through a timeline.. Say you ask for LORs today.. They may not be submitted for up to a month unless your writers are all on top of it (which they usually aren't). In addition, you would have to submit your current transcript with microbio, which would also probably take that month. Then even once you submitted, they recommend another month for it to be verified and received by the programs. Basically, you would be limiting yourself to programs with October deadlines or later. Plus, IMO, physiology should be a pre req that's finished before applying. I think you should wait and become the best and most competitive applicant you can be. Either way, good luck!

IMHO, you have nothing really to lose except money. But that being said, it's sort of a personal choice, since money is sometimes precious. :)

I have applied with prerequisites in progress, after a careful examination of my schools to make sure that they would allow this.

As for the Biology 2 thing, you might also check if your schools would allow an online Biology 2. There is an extensive sticky note in the Pre-PA section on online classes, and many of them are just as rigorous as on campus and even have labs associated with them. You would have to do your research on the best fit for you, but it's worth looking in to.

Good luck. :)

Thanks so much for your reply :)

I think you should wait. Going through a timeline.. Say you ask for LORs today.. They may not be submitted for up to a month unless your writers are all on top of it (which they usually aren't). In addition, you would have to submit your current transcript with microbio, which would also probably take that month. Then even once you submitted, they recommend another month for it to be verified and received by the programs. Basically, you would be limiting yourself to programs with October deadlines or later. Plus, IMO, physiology should be a pre req that's finished before applying. I think you should wait and become the best and most competitive applicant you can be. Either way, good luck!

That's exactly why I'm apprehensive. I think waiting will make me stronger, but I can't help but think, "What if I could get in this cycle?" I think my chances are very low, though.

I've been thinking about applying to the schools who start in January. That way my pre-reqs will be complete and I can add in more volunteer and HCE hours, as well as shadowing. AND my LORs will have more time.

I had a similar dilemma about whether or not to apply during my junior year of college, or after I graduated. I ended up deciding to wait, even though that meant taking a 'gap' year this year. I am super happy I decided to wait, because I know I can get into the BEST school I possibly could, and having this entire year to focus on working and take a break from academics has been really great so far.

I had a similar dilemma about whether or not to apply during my junior year of college, or after I graduated. I ended up deciding to wait, even though that meant taking a 'gap' year this year. I am super happy I decided to wait, because I know I can get into the BEST school I possibly could, and having this entire year to focus on working and take a break from academics has been really great so far.

Thanks for strengthening my decision :) I wish you luck!

That's exactly why I'm apprehensive. I think waiting will make me stronger, but I can't help but think, "What if I could get in this cycle?" I think my chances are very low, though.

I've been thinking about applying to the schools who start in January. That way my pre-reqs will be complete and I can add in more volunteer and HCE hours, as well as shadowing. AND my LORs will have more time.

I would wait. You're not really "wasting" time since you still have pre-reqs to complete. It's in your best interest to be the most competitive applicant you can be when applying. Plus, while most schools allow outstanding pre-reqs, I think they prefer to have as many completed as possible. Physiology is required for every school so you shouldn't have that outstanding, IMO. Next year, you'll have more HCE (and will surpass the minimum 1,000 hour requirement for many schools -- this may open more options for you), your pre-reqs will be finished and if you do well in all of them you may strengthen your science GPA (depending on what it is now.) Plus, you won't want to start PA school in January, trust me/us! It'll be nice for you to finish your pre-reqs, work/volunteer full time, and just focus on your application, essay, interviews, etc. after the fall semester. PA school is so intense, especially didactic year, and the application/interview process is stressful. Starting PA school right after you finish taking 3 classes will be a lot. I was finishing a couple of pre-reqs in the Fall semester when I applied and working 24 hrs/week and was accepted to a program that started in March. I thought it was way too soon for me! I'm so glad I ended up choosing a program that started the following August. I finished my pre-reqs in December, my last PA school interview in February and I had March-August to relax, work, save up money and prepare for what was ahead. :)

I would wait. You're not really "wasting" time since you still have pre-reqs to complete. It's in your best interest to be the most competitive applicant you can be when applying. Plus, while most schools allow outstanding pre-reqs, I think they prefer to have as many completed as possible. Physiology is required for every school so you shouldn't have that outstanding, IMO. Next year, you'll have more HCE (and will surpass the minimum 1,000 hour requirement for many schools -- this may open more options for you), your pre-reqs will be finished and if you do well in all of them you may strengthen your science GPA (depending on what it is now.) Plus, you won't want to start PA school in January, trust me/us! It'll be nice for you to finish your pre-reqs, work/volunteer full time, and just focus on your application, essay, interviews, etc. after the fall semester. PA school is so intense, especially didactic year, and the application/interview process is stressful. Starting PA school right after you finish taking 3 classes will be a lot. I was finishing a couple of pre-reqs in the Fall semester when I applied and working 24 hrs/week and was accepted to a program that started in March. I thought it was way too soon for me! I'm so glad I ended up choosing a program that started the following August. I finished my pre-reqs in December, my last PA school interview in February and I had March-August to relax, work, save up money and prepare for what was ahead. :)

I should have clarified! I meant the following January. Not the month after my pre-reqs are done :) I believe the app deadline for that would be in March. I would have plenty of time to relax after that. Thanks for the advice!!

Archived