would like to go for PA, no medical experience, 10+ yrs of pharmacy, recommendations?

I'm 30 yrs old, just starting thinking about PA school. Have a B.S. in biochemistry with 3.1 overall GPA, although low GPA in science courses. Have over 10 years of pharmacy experience. How should I build my experience? I just don't know where to start as far as getting a recommendation from a doctor and getting some hands-on practices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would read through the advice here from another women interested in going PA http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/40420-32-years-old-and-would-like-to-start-towards-PA

I think you should start by researching programs you may be interested in. Most likely, you'll have to retake most if not all of the pre reqs since most programs require they be taken in the last 5/10 years. If you need someone to shadow, the easiest thing to do is to go to your states PA association and either look up a directory of current PAs or email and ask if they can provide you some guidance. Good luck!

I'm 30 yrs old, just starting thinking about PA school. Have a B.S. in biochemistry with 3.1 overall GPA, although low GPA in science courses. Have over 10 years of pharmacy experience. How should I build my experience? I just don't know where to start as far as getting a recommendation from a doctor and getting some hands-on practices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello! I too am embarking on this journey! Although you are advanced in having your B.S. Go to my thread, there are tons of suggestions that are extent helpful!!

I'm in somewhat a similar situation. Med Tech with 4 years experience, tired of behind the scene work, wanted to advance myself, saw a great need in healthcare for people with limited access to medicine, PA was the solution.

Steps I took:

1. Planned out a year long timeline.

2. I researched some programs, saw the ones I liked; looked at the pre reqs., planned out a course of action for those classes.

3. I contacted 2 clinics and currently volunteering at both.

4. Contacted several doctors, currently shadowing.

5. Made a list of people who would write me LOR, told some of my future plans, get the ball rolling so they remember me.

6. Apply the next year and see what happens.

Good Luck to you.

Archived