HCE Question

Hello,

I am currently weighing my options for furthering my career and PA is one profession I am considering. After browsing through some PA programs in my state, I noticed most do require HCE. Would my current position as a Medical Technologist (B.S.) be considered valid HCE for PA school? I know that it probably varies slightly from school to school, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

I am currently weighing my options for furthering my career and PA is one profession I am considering. After browsing through some PA programs in my state, I noticed most do require HCE. Would my current position as a Medical Technologist (B.S.) be considered valid HCE for PA school? I know that it probably varies slightly from school to school, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know of too many schools that would accept that as HCE. It's still valuable experience to have, but it's just not direct patient care experience. If you were to round that out with a little CNA or MA work, you would be a great candidate for many masters PA programs.

I don't know of too many schools that would accept that as HCE. It's still valuable experience to have, but it's just not direct patient care experience. If you were to round that out with a little CNA or MA work, you would be a great candidate for many masters PA programs.

Thanks for the input. I do draw blood on occassion, but it is not something I do on a daily basis. I think the most logical solution would be to become EMT certified and complete some volunteer work to complement my Med Tech work. I am not fond of the idea of quitting my job as a MT to become CNA because of the obvious pay cut.

Thanks for the input. I do draw blood on occassion, but it is not something I do on a daily basis. I think the most logical solution would be to become EMT certified and complete some volunteer work to complement my Med Tech work. I am not fond of the idea of quitting my job as a MT to become CNA because of the obvious pay cut.

Like PAMAC said, it's a knee jerk reaction here for people to say med tech experience doesn't count. It won't count at schools that specifically require hands-on patient experience(unless you draw blood with some regularity) but there are plenty of schools that don't require hands-on care and that look positively on MTs. You will even see it on the "preferred HCE" lists that some schools have on their websites. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get some more HCE on the side but it's not necessary. I managed without it. :)

Like PAMAC said, it's a knee jerk reaction here for people to say med tech experience doesn't count. It won't count at schools that specifically require hands-on patient experience(unless you draw blood with some regularity) but there are plenty of schools that don't require hands-on care and that look positively on MTs. You will even see it on the "preferred HCE" lists that some schools have on their websites. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get some more HCE on the side but it's not necessary. I managed without it. :)

Archived