Schools that may overlook your GPA? Do I really have a shot? Anywhere?

First… I’m really sorry if I’m reposting this, and please forgive me for the length.   I really appreciate any and all help L

Please forgive me, I’m having a panic attack and getting really scared.  I have been told TIME & TIM again I’m a very unique candidate.  I just haven’t been given the chance – and every program I apply to judges my grades from undergrad, despite really hard times. I know everyone has a story, but this is mine… and I wish I knew then what I know now.  Working > 55 hours a week in 3 different health care jobs while taking 2 classes a semester…  I’m proud I’m averaging B’s…

Hi all,

A few of you know me… I’ve posted here before.  The big thing about this thread is that I know there are some of us who faced challenges before, during, and/or towards the end of our academic career.  We all face challenges every day.. And we all handle it differently.  Shit, if I knew and understood now back then, I don’t know if I’d be writing this and having difficulty getting accepted. 

I’ll keep my story brief… it’s a long one.

Entering into college my dad had an emergency mitral valve repair due to a prolapse.  Successful, but it didn’t come without complications that spanned from the beginning of my ugrad career to the end of my MS.  I’m not proud of my GPA’s, but I’m proud I successfully completed these programs with all the bullshit.  My dad was in & out of the hospital.. for mini strokes (TIA’S), Congestive heart failure… my grades were up & down fluctuating per semester.  You can’t even begin to imagine how ill-prepared I was to see my dad in the CCU after his first surgery.  As a 17/18 year old and senior in high school, I was devastated.  This also effected family finances… hi Sallie Mae loans.  I’m paying for it now, literally.  L

This left me with a sub-3.0 GPA for ugrad, and a sub 3.5 gpa for grad school. 

Oh, I forgot to mention, as I was preparing for my final year in my MS is when my grades crashed.  My dad decompensated medically.  Pericarditis.  That was a scary 13 hour procedure to remove the pericardium from his heart.  KNOCK ON WOOD my dad is alive and well.  I love you dad if you ever read this (and mom, can’t forget you too).

Ok, so what? 

I knew what I wanted.. and I knew I’d have to work HARD to get it.  I’m still trying.

Graduating, I couldn’t find a career job.  Took a position in Starbucks.  Not bad, but the pay.. meh.  2 years… in that time, I started taking night classes to take pre-reqs and retake classes.  Also picked up some volunteer work hours in a research lab (at 20 hours a week).  Couple that with 40 hours at starbucks… studying for class was a mess.  Averaged B’s and C’s.  I’m not proud, again.  Finally, after networking like a mother… Got into my current roles. 

Side: I'm also a medical volunteer for the Boston Marathon doing patient triage and transport as a medical sweep team member. AND I volunteer once a week at the Salvation Army for 4-5 hours in the AM on Saturdays… (accumulated about 100 hours so far.. going to keep going strong until PA school starts) 

Currently, I average about 60 hours a week working... all healthcare related roles.  

Since 2013 I've been the lead exercise physiologist & pulmonary rehab coordinator (DIRECT PATIENT CARE) @ a major local hospital... accumulating > 5000 HCE/PCE hours.  I was at 24 hours weekly, then was promoted, then 32 hours  and now 40 hours weekly.  I oversee the recruitment, care, and maintenance of our patients with chronic lung disease, and their outcomes.  On top of that, I work in the pulmonary function lab doing PFTs, arterial blood draws, etc... and I am the lead ex physiologist who performs the cardiopulmonary stress tests (CPETs)... level I and level III (with a RHC).  

On top of that... in 2013, I began doing pain research in a pediatric ED, but transitioned over to pulmonary research with a COPD population (both as research coordinators) first averaging 20 hours weekly, then to 12...And since 2012, I have been a lab manager, research coordinator, and lab safety officer at another local and large hospital system in pulmonary and crit care/anesthesia.  This has been 20 hours weekly.

Working 3 jobs, and handling the time management well while somehow managing a life and recently getting married... I have strong support from so many MD and PHD faculty at these major metropolitan hospitals... and a strong letter of support from the chief PA at one of the hospitals (who was a recommendation as well)...

I'd like to say I have the HCE solid, the research (if needed) solid, the recommendations solid (I’ve been told by admissions committees that my recommendations are very strong)... but my GPA... is not stellar...

What I want to do... is be able to get INTO a PA program, and shift my focus of discipline and time management from performing 3 part-time job with full-time responsibilities that I multi-task ever so well, to the rigorous, intensive course heavy (and didactic) load that PA school throws at you to be successful, graduate with honors, and pass the PANCE boards to be a successful caregiver.

Anyone have any advice, or should I just give up?  Are there any programs that would weigh more heavily on the GRE + HCE/Recommendations and be more lenient on your GPA?

:(

Thanks

I would not say to give up per se, but to remain a realist. Having gone through the process once I have gone back and forth with should I give up or not (it's a very humbling experiencing haha). I came to terms with if I am not good enough for PA school then I am not good enough. Not everyone can get in (:

If you're willing to fight a good fight, then by all means, but think of a back up plan just in case...

But you do look like a well-qualified applicant. Good luck!

Other than your GPA, I think it's fairly obvious most programs would love to have you.  By the way, you just say sub-3.0.  What are we talking about here?  2.5?  Have you done the calculations in CASPA?  What is your masters' in?

The question programs want answered is...does this guy know how to student effectively?  Is he going to pretty much chug through now that the distractions are resolved, or is he great in every other category and we will have to bother with him for a year?  

(I have said this before - professors are as lazy as students, if not more, and they will avoid applicants that are potentially high maintenance). 

So...If you are them, what do you think is best to look at to answer that question?  

The answer is recent activity, personal statement, and interview.  

Recent activity...doesn't matter how many credits...what degrees...or your GPA is.  You aren't done or beaten, by a long shot.  Guess what - CASPA and programs figure it differently.  Find your lowest grades and take those classes over at the local CC.  Get As, obviously.  They count, and your stock and GPA (figured for the purposes of CASPA / programs) will rise.  

I get that there are programs that won't look at applicants below a certain whatever.  So what...there are a couple hundred others.  Move on. 

Personal statement...your story is relevant and an explanation can be found there, but expound on it BRIEFLY and move on.  Say that the time and energy your dad's situation cost you was enough to level a platoon of students, but guess what, I don't quit.  See what I did there?  No whining or victimization - turns it into a positive.   There's a chance they may be cheering for you - "this guy takes what's coming plows through anyway - he won't be bothered with daily exams and stuff".

Interview - this is your shot to reinforce what's in your personal statement - "what's coming in PA school don't bother me - that kind of thing I have gotten used to, and I don't quit".  Smooth and confident and ready for the challenge.  

It bears repeating - ANY whining or victim type stuff could - probably will - wind your application up in the trash can.   "I'm good and I work hard, but I'm human too and I did my level best - here it is and I hope we can see things the same"

While you are raising your stock GPA wise, you may need some patience.  Keep doing what you are doing and it may take a couple of tries.  A program you like will find you.  

Moving forward, dial back on the hours enough to fix that GPA.  Caution:  "A"s or bust.  Good luck.

^ What the above poster said is great advice.

Don't talk about your struggles in your PS too much. Mention it and describe HOW you overcame them.

Again, your GPA is the #1 issue here. Your recent coursework doesn't redeem your poor undergrad performance (all B's a 3.0). Your grades need to improve. Find more time to study and cut down on your hours - there's no way around it. 

The only way your recent coursework will shine is if it's a 3.8 or higher. You really can't accept anything else. Treat getting a 90 on a test like a death sentence and aim for a 100. You need to make sure you get A's.

It's going to be a long journey, but you will get there.

You've had some struggles got a masters and have the HCE. If I was you, I would buy the Magoosh GRE study guide for the next 3 months and smash the GRE. If you can score well above the 300 and 4.5 on the written, then that may break your cycle. Also, how well prepared are you to go to the school that accepts you? I would crush the GRE and apply to every damn school I could and then be real about the interviews/offers you get. You've really got to show the admissions committees that you've got the drive to get this done. Go for th GRE and make it happen!

First… I’m really sorry if I’m reposting this, and please forgive me for the length.   I really appreciate any and all help L

Please forgive me, I’m having a panic attack and getting really scared.  I have been told TIME & TIM again I’m a very unique candidate.  I just haven’t been given the chance – and every program I apply to judges my grades from undergrad, despite really hard times. I know everyone has a story, but this is mine… and I wish I knew then what I know now.  Working > 55 hours a week in 3 different health care jobs while taking 2 classes a semester…  I’m proud I’m averaging B’s…

Hi all,

A few of you know me… I’ve posted here before.  The big thing about this thread is that I know there are some of us who faced challenges before, during, and/or towards the end of our academic career.  We all face challenges every day.. And we all handle it differently.  Shit, if I knew and understood now back then, I don’t know if I’d be writing this and having difficulty getting accepted. 

I’ll keep my story brief… it’s a long one.

Entering into college my dad had an emergency mitral valve repair due to a prolapse.  Successful, but it didn’t come without complications that spanned from the beginning of my ugrad career to the end of my MS.  I’m not proud of my GPA’s, but I’m proud I successfully completed these programs with all the bullshit.  My dad was in & out of the hospital.. for mini strokes (TIA’S), Congestive heart failure… my grades were up & down fluctuating per semester.  You can’t even begin to imagine how ill-prepared I was to see my dad in the CCU after his first surgery.  As a 17/18 year old and senior in high school, I was devastated.  This also effected family finances… hi Sallie Mae loans.  I’m paying for it now, literally.  L

This left me with a sub-3.0 GPA for ugrad, and a sub 3.5 gpa for grad school. 

Oh, I forgot to mention, as I was preparing for my final year in my MS is when my grades crashed.  My dad decompensated medically.  Pericarditis.  That was a scary 13 hour procedure to remove the pericardium from his heart.  KNOCK ON WOOD my dad is alive and well.  I love you dad if you ever read this (and mom, can’t forget you too).

Ok, so what? 

I knew what I wanted.. and I knew I’d have to work HARD to get it.  I’m still trying.

Graduating, I couldn’t find a career job.  Took a position in Starbucks.  Not bad, but the pay.. meh.  2 years… in that time, I started taking night classes to take pre-reqs and retake classes.  Also picked up some volunteer work hours in a research lab (at 20 hours a week).  Couple that with 40 hours at starbucks… studying for class was a mess.  Averaged B’s and C’s.  I’m not proud, again.  Finally, after networking like a mother… Got into my current roles. 

Side: I'm also a medical volunteer for the Boston Marathon doing patient triage and transport as a medical sweep team member. AND I volunteer once a week at the Salvation Army for 4-5 hours in the AM on Saturdays… (accumulated about 100 hours so far.. going to keep going strong until PA school starts) 

Currently, I average about 60 hours a week working... all healthcare related roles.  

Since 2013 I've been the lead exercise physiologist & pulmonary rehab coordinator (DIRECT PATIENT CARE) @ a major local hospital... accumulating > 5000 HCE/PCE hours.  I was at 24 hours weekly, then was promoted, then 32 hours  and now 40 hours weekly.  I oversee the recruitment, care, and maintenance of our patients with chronic lung disease, and their outcomes.  On top of that, I work in the pulmonary function lab doing PFTs, arterial blood draws, etc... and I am the lead ex physiologist who performs the cardiopulmonary stress tests (CPETs)... level I and level III (with a RHC).  

On top of that... in 2013, I began doing pain research in a pediatric ED, but transitioned over to pulmonary research with a COPD population (both as research coordinators) first averaging 20 hours weekly, then to 12...And since 2012, I have been a lab manager, research coordinator, and lab safety officer at another local and large hospital system in pulmonary and crit care/anesthesia.  This has been 20 hours weekly.

Working 3 jobs, and handling the time management well while somehow managing a life and recently getting married... I have strong support from so many MD and PHD faculty at these major metropolitan hospitals... and a strong letter of support from the chief PA at one of the hospitals (who was a recommendation as well)...

I'd like to say I have the HCE solid, the research (if needed) solid, the recommendations solid (I’ve been told by admissions committees that my recommendations are very strong)... but my GPA... is not stellar...

What I want to do... is be able to get INTO a PA program, and shift my focus of discipline and time management from performing 3 part-time job with full-time responsibilities that I multi-task ever so well, to the rigorous, intensive course heavy (and didactic) load that PA school throws at you to be successful, graduate with honors, and pass the PANCE boards to be a successful caregiver.

Anyone have any advice, or should I just give up?  Are there any programs that would weigh more heavily on the GRE + HCE/Recommendations and be more lenient on your GPA?

:(

Thanks

Dante, bro, don't worry. You got this. I was in a similar position and got accepted with a 2.9 cGPA. The most valuable advice I can give you is to go to the open house of the program(s) you wish to attend. At the open houses, you'll be able to meet the admission faculty! There you can tell them exactly what you told us here, but give a shorter version, haha. But seriously brother, fight through this. You are a much stronger applicant than you think you are. If people are telling you that you are a unique candidate for PA school, believe them. Your uniqueness is what is going to set you apart. So, start calling around to figure out when these open houses are and rock it when you go. Make sure you dress as though you were going to the actual interview. Speak well and be well groomed. Be mindful that from the moment you step foot on the school grounds you are being watched, so be "on" at all times. Bless you bro!

Agree with the above, your HCE is stellar but GPA is likely what's holding you back. If it's sub-3.0 for the pre-reqs and your finances allow it, I'd recommend retaking some if not all of them to show you've got the chops to perform well in the classes they care about most. OR if you already have retaken a few pre-reqs and did improved but the first attempts are still holding that pre-req GPA below a 3.0, at least be sure to have a B or higher (but you obviously want to have mostly A's) in each of them to demonstrate this. You could also try taking harder versions or pre-reqs like an advanced A & P or more upper level Bio courses to help show you can do this despite the GPA. I know this can be costly, but you can never have too much of the sciences and it may just be the ticket. A great GRE may also help to slightly offset some of the GPA but it is not nearly as important as GPA in my opinion.

Life happens, and kudos to you for powering through all of this and continuing to work toward your goals no matter how hard it has been. You'll get there, you just have to keep working at it to prove yourself academically and write great essays! Good luck!

Archived