Lowish GPA need advice on how to be a stronger applicant

Hey guys I'm 28 years old and thinking about going to PA school after having volunteered in the ER.

I have a bachelors in Economics with all but four of my pre-reqs taken.

My cum. Gpa is 3.2 and my sgpa is 3.25.

I'm planning on attending medical assisting school for 6 months and work for 6 months and get around 1000 hours of HCE by next July/August when I plan on applying.

I have about 170 hours of shadowing and volunteering.

I'm planning on taking the four courses over the next year, two per semester.

I wasn't very serious about college and I've been working on Wall Street for a major bank for the last few years making a decent amount of money.

I want to be a PA because of how perfectly it fits who I am and only realized I should have gone into healthcare.

The journey ahead of me is long, I'm worried about leaving my job to take a shot at becoming a PA when my gpa is on the low side.

With my Stats is it worth taking a shot or better to just stay put in finance which I dislike very much.

Looks like a good plan. 3.2 isn't too bad.

I thought this was going to be another " I have a 2.3 but really want to be a pa " thread.

you my friend will be fine. MA is great experience for PA school, especially if interested in primary care in the future.

With a 3.2 it is do able, I proved that this year (cGPA 3.21, sGPA 3.78, 14,000 HCE), but you have to be above the average for HCE, GRE and would be sure your BCP GPA is well above the 3.2 cGPA.  Look toward schools that have a min of 2.75 cGPA (some schools have a 3.2 min, and it would be tough to get an interview based on my experience) and your chance are increase with a strong personal statement that you will be invited for an interview.  Then once in the interview the question you have to prove to the adcom is are you able to handle the rigors of the program.

Also if you have a PA program in your local area, look to find adjunct faculty to shadow in their clinic/hospital. They can provide a wealth of knowledge on the best approach to strengthen your application.

Archived