Should I include my HCE as a Vet Tech in my personal Statement

I would like some advice on whether I need/should include my experience working as a vet tech in my personal statement or exclude it. I know if I'm offered an interview I'll have to address the obvious question of why I made the change from veterinary to human medicine but don't know if the issue needs to be addressed in a personal statement. Thank you in advance.

• Administrator

Sure.  It indicates experience dealing with concerned but clueless family members, family members who directly or indirectly caused the problem they come to you to fix, and family members who are only concerned about cost.  Sounds like excellent experience to me...

I don't know how much you should dedicate in your PS, but it should definitely be in your application. It indicates exposure to medications and procedures. Believe me, you will not be the only one who switched from vet to human medicine. It very well may come up in interviews, but since you lived this shift in goals, you should be able to talk about it with ease. 

It is funny, it came up in my first interview for a job and the CMO still brings it up to me once in awhile, he thought it was a very interesting experience and exposure to a different sort of medicine. 

Archived