how long is common to decide on offers

just real quick re: my other post , I'm about to get the offer on #1 tomorrow or the next day while I am still awaiting the interview for #2 (they are trying to arrange MD schedules).  #2 definitely deserves the full benefit.

If #1 calls me tomorrow, what is the standard time you have found to give a candidate for an answer back?  I essentially have a competing offer or potential one, anyway.

I just got off the phone with #2 director (got all the missing info) and she says 7-14 days is standard and what they follow.  She doesn't like shorter times and says if they pressure you that's a red flag.  I take her point. 

Consult to Dr. Google says much shorter than that, considering new grad, I might get 2-3 days tops. 

What say you?

I'm a fan of full transparency. Letting the one practice know you're pending another offer not only potentially gets you some extra time to think over things if needed because they're aware you've acknowledged the offer but it also potentially opens the floor for additional negotiations. Not necessary a "they offered X but I'd join you for Y", but they may be more enticed to offer you more if they felt you were a strong candidate. Joining a practice or hospital is a big commitment and you can't be faulted for feeling out the opportunities in your area. 

If someone gives you an offer and you tell them that you need more time to consider another offer (that you don't have yet), that does not send a good message to the first employer. If you actually HAD two offers in hand, a day or two should be enough time to decide between them. If instead you say that you need weeks (because, truth be told, you don't yet have a second offer), you will likely send the message that your really aren't all that interested in working for them.

Life goes on and, with time, you always could get new data or a better offer. Rather than try to stall, you could just accept the current offer (if you really want to work there) and then just see what happens in the future. If you get a better offer before you report to the first job, you could call them and withdraw with grace, as you feel the second offer is a better match for you. Finding the best match for you is essentially your life's work -- and it's way more than finding the job that pays the most.

While this may seem awkward, it sounds better than trying to stall for time. I for one would not hire someone who wants to hold things open for weeks in the hope that a better offer could materialize. "If you don't really want us, then we really don't want you" comes to mind.

This all will work out; it always does. Good luck!

you could just accept the current offer (if you really want to work there) and then just see what happens in the future. If you get a better offer before you report to the first job, you could call them and withdraw with grace, 

Respectfully, I must submit that I have never seen this before.  In fact, it seems to be very high on the list of what not to do, no matter what.  

It's legal, unless you sign something, and it would be looking out for #1, but it seems like a d--- move and truly leaves them in the lurch.  Once I accept the offer, they will likely hop right to the phones and release the other candidates (if any), as a courtesy to them, and shut down the other parts of the machine.  If I then leave before I begin, they have to start completely over having lost days and money.  Anyway, I've only heard to do this under the most dire of circumstances.

Only talking a couple of days difference here guys.  I would be ecstatic with a week, which again the Director of #2 says is industry standard. I don't expect to be given weeks, even if I wasn't a new graduate.  

I also plan to be very vague, as professionally as I can manage.  I find negotiation difficult and distasteful anyway.  I wouldn't attempt some bidding war crap over my old decrepit new graduate self.

So you guys thinking 3-4 days, a week?

I was given about a week or so. Caveat: I was a student at that time so there was no rush since I couldn't practice until after certification. I've heard of some colleagues being given a few days to around 5-7. It's usually something like, "Let us know by the end of the week," or, "Take the weekend to think it over."

If they rush you, ask what the urgency is. Request the time you need to make your decision. I think a week is appropriate. I think more than a week is too much, especially if you're potentially filling an ASAP position.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived