Johns Hopkins Post Graduate Critical Care PA Residency

Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dept of Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine, Post Graduate Critical Care Physician Assistant Residency

We are now accepting applications from Physician Assistants interested in pursuing a 12 month Critical Care Residency which aims to train PA residents to the highest level of critical thinking and proficiency in the skills required for comprehensive management of critically ill patients. Training includes didactic orientation, ongoing PA lecture series, grand rounds, and a state-of-the-art simulation center lab. Residents will pair with providers and rotate through Surgical and Medical Intensive Units, Emergency Department, and with affiliated services of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. For more information regarding program eligibility, application process & deadlines, stipend and benefits, please visit our website (www. jhpaccr.org ) or contact Sarah Sloane, Program Coordinator - paccres@jhmi.edu or 410-502-2651.

• 2 months later...

I may be very wrong about this, but I think you can actually have your loans deferred for a year while in a residency since it is still considered "education". I think that all you have to have is a letter from the residency director, or proof that you are in a program etc. Or, you can have the program contact them and tell them that you are in an educational program. This may not be the case, but I think it can somehow be pulled off.

Here is a naiive question - what kind of stipends do residencies such as JH or Duke offer? Its hard enough coming out of school with $200k of debt....

It all depends on where you go and what specialty. There are some residencies that offer as low as 28,000....others offer up to 78,000. Hopkins seems to offer around 40,000 for all their residencies.

• 9 months later...
Here is a naiive question - what kind of stipends do residencies such as JH or Duke offer? Its hard enough coming out of school with $200k of debt....

Wow. $200,000?! Did you go to PA school or med school? :-)

I'm not sure what residency pays $78,000 (noted by another responder) but most of the residencies I checked out in the past pay not much over $40,000. Check out their websites. Somewhere in there (usually buried at the bottom) is the recompense.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

The JHH Critical Care PA residency program will graduate it's 3rd class in October 2011. The stipend is $45,000 per year, which is similar to the salary for an MD surgical intern. PA residents typically are able to defer their loans while they complete the residency program, however interested applicants such check with their lender.

Archived