health insurance premiums for PAs and their dependents?

I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong category. I wasn't sure exactly where this thread might belong.

I'm getting ready to start PA school this fall, and my husband and I currently have no children. Without having the first baby, I can't tell you whether we'll even have the second....let alone the third or fourth. Having said that, he is from a large family and would like several children. So I'm willing to at least entertain (and laugh at the insanity of) the possibility of having more than one or two kids. Stranger things have happened...

But with all the changes swirling around healthcare coverage due to the Affordable Care Act, what does this mean when it comes to health insurance premiums -- specifically, premiums PAs pay for their families? I've done a lot of research online, and it's difficult to nail down a figure, especially since a lot of data is by state rather than by profession. I wondered if coming on here might enable me to get a better idea.

I want to go into family practice once school is over, but I don't know if that salary will realistically enable me to singlehandedly pay for health insurance for 3 or 4 kids, plus my husband, for a period of several years (it would make no sense for him to work while all the kids are daycare/preschool age -- we would save more money if he stayed home with the kids until they enter school). Not sure if it matters for the questions I am about to ask, but I will be practicing in NC.

Current PAs...What are benefits like for those of you who have children? Is it standard for there to only be a cost for the premium of the first two dependents, for example, with no charge for any additional dependents? Or is there a per-dependent premium cost regardless of the number of dependents? I know employee-sponsored coverage for entire families is all but extinct now, unfortunately. I am trying to get an idea of what to expect so we can figure out whether we should even consider the possibility of a large family or if it is a pipe dream because of how much health insurance would cost.

My employers pay nothing for the health insurance. Fortunately, my husband now has a job where we get pretty good coverage- but through my job, we would pay about $1200 per month for myself, him, and our daughter. I do know that figure would stay the same with more children; not sure why but whether it's 1kid or 10, the rates seem to stay the same for the CHILD dependents.

Archived