Looking for any advice.

looked over dynamo24 and redcook

Therhythmic beeping of the monitors never stop in the CVICU. The night had beenpeaceful thus far. In the bay, my patient was still intubated from undergoingopen heart surgery. His vitals had fluctuatedall day, but were now stable. Suddenly, the stillness of the night wasinterrupted by the shrieking of his monitor. The patient’s oxygen saturation levels were dropping rapidly. The nurseand I rushed to the bedside to examine him. Hearing no lung sounds on the rightside, an immediate x-ray was ordered, confirming our suspicion. The patient hada pneumothorax to the right lung. Afterassisting the doctor with the insertion of a chest tube, we monitored thevitals and watched as his oxygen level returned to normal. Our attention todetail and quick decision making allowed for a positive outcome. Experienceslike this are a constant reminder of my passion for the field, and a motivationfor me to pursue a career as a physician assistant.

My desire to work in medicine beganwhen my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004. I experienced firsthand havinga loved one enter the hospital, unsure if they would survive. Due to mymother’s determination, modern medicine, and a devoted medical staff she hasbeen in remission for nine years. Taking my mom home after her last chemotreatment, I knew that working in medicine is where I belonged. I wanted to beable to work with families using the same consideration and dedication that Iwitnessed during my mother’s months of uncertainty—and I still hold this valuehigh, today.

Aftergraduating from Capital University, I was uncertain of where I belonged in themedical field. I moved to the army base in El Paso, Texas to live with myhusband determined to find where I belonged in the medical field. I chose tovolunteer at University Medical Center, which is where I had my first extensiveencounter with a physician assistant. I went on rounds with her, observant ofhow invested she was in the care of each patient. Despite her busy schedule,her concern and compassion was overwhelmingly apparent. Soon enough, I foundmyself actively engaged in each patient interaction. As we finished, we had anin depth discussion about the profession and my goals as a medical professional.That day, I discovered a profession combining a service to others and the useof knowledge and skills to solve complex problems in a way that best suited thepatient. A profession where I knew I belonged.

Afterthat exposure, I shadowed Frank, an Emergency Room physician assistant. We sawpatients then discussed necessary tests and our preliminary thoughts on thediagnosis. After a few times, I assessed the patient first, providing aninitial report with my opinion on a possible diagnosis. Seeing each patient treatedmy desire to be a PA was strengthened. Regardless of the primary complaint, whetherit was a headache or a broken arm, Frank was invested in the health of thepatient. Shadowing him showed me what it meant to be a PA. He showed me theimportance of being an intermediary between the doctor and the patient, ofgaining the trust of the patient, and of having the knowledge and skills toprovide the best possible care. I found myself engaged in all aspects of hiswork. Leaving the hospital each day, I Iooked forward to the next session andthe opportunity to learn more.

My work in the CardiovascularIntensive Care Unit at Del Sol Medical Center has given me a variety of handson experiences working with critical patients. As the only nursing assistant ina 15 bed unit, I am responsible for the wellbeing of patients who are incritical condition. Monitoring the patients, I watch for any changes that couldnegatively impact a patient’s life. In addition, I pay careful attention to thephysical, emotional, and interpersonal wellbeing of each patient. I recallvividly one patient who was anxious and I spent the majority of the night inand out of his room. As he calmed down and was able to sleep, he reminded me ofmy desire to be in medicine by saying, “We need more angels like you.”

Asa nursing assistant I am limited in the duties I can perform. The time spentwith patients is a daily reminder of my potential and desire to continue myeducation to learn more in order to diagnosis and treat patients. As a selfmotivated learner, I take it upon myself to learn as much as I can each shift Iwork, by engaging the nurses or researching diagnosis and treatment options onmy own.

My experiences working with thephysician assistants and working as a nursing assistant have shown me that thisis the profession I belong in. All of my experiences since moving to El Paso hasallowed me to grow personally and professionally and has solidified my desireto become a PA. I have the drive and determination to learn and the compassionto care for patients. I am confident andready for the challenge ahead. I look forward to starting the process of joiningthe profession.

Archived