getting into crt program then pa down the line

Hey all here is my situation. Iam 24 years old with a B.S. in psychology. Ive decided I want to pursue the PA dream but my gpa is not up to par yet. Im currently working as a part-time firefighter/EMT-B, but I have enough time to study and take classes. My undergrad gpa is a 2.5, but Im hoping the fact that I already have a bachelors of science degree, and am working in the field as an EMT-B will help my chances of getting into the RT program at my local community college. What do you guys think my chances are, Im not sure how competitive rt programs are normally to get into. Thank you for your imput.

I’ve just been accepted to a respiratory therapy program and it’s definitely not as competitive as programs such as nursing or radiology… If I were you, I would find out if your fire department will pay for you to go to school for paramedic. Get your health care experience at the paramedic level and retake the pre-requisites for PA school. Since you have already completed your degree in psychology, you now have multiple avenues in order to reach your goal. The 2.5 GPA will make it difficult to get into any program however, not unsurmountable. I would also look at accelerated nursing programs (18-24 months), this will allow you to apply to both NP and PA in the future. The most important thing to remember is when creating your path to reach your goal, make sure that path is something you enjoy and will provide an adequate income while trying to pursue your goal. Remember your only 24 years old and you have a lot of time. Keep your head up, stay motivated and get those grades up. Check out the multiple threads on this forum on how to increase your GPA and competitiveness… Good Luck! Oh yeah, call the program Director and ask them about your competitiveness, they will be able to answer more accurately about your chances for RRT.

I appreciate the advice, I think I would enjoy rt over rn. Im into the ER stuff and I think rt in an ER setting is something I would really enjoy, if career fire never worked out. Im somewhat limited in my education opportunities, because I do not plan on quitting my position as a part-time firefighter/emt (getting paid 14/hr and gaining experience) in Spokane Wa. Spokane Community College has a pretty good respiratory care program which is what Im looking at. Plan on meeting with a counselor to go over my competitiveness, and if necessary I will take pre-requs over again since I will have to do that anyway for pa down the line. Medic is something Iam also considering, the fire dept would pay a portion, but in the end rt make a lot more then medics unless your a fire/medic. And I think that salary would help stabilize me down the road if i decided to pursue PA. As always thoughts and criticism is appreciated.

Also been looking into other programs such as Anesthesiology Assistnant, and perfusion as well as PA. I can either retake all the pre requs i need to to get gpa up, or try to get into a "mid-level" healthcare job such as respiratory therapy or paramedic, and work that job while take pre-requs to save up money for the "higher-end edu" later on (PA, AA, RAD, Perfusion). CRT program here would take me 2 years, and im thinking I would rpob be able to squeeze atleast one pre-requ per quarter in with the RT program. Only advantage I could see to just taking pre-requs and working as emt/firefighter is id get them done fast and be able to apply to the higher end stuff sooner, yet I wouldnt have the income of the Rt or RN position, what do you guys think?

I am in my last year of RT school, and really love it! There are several RRT's I know that are in PA-C school. Make sure you this school is a RRT program not a CRT only program. CRT program graduates are no longer able to sit for the NBRC (National Board Exam).

Also been looking into other programs such as Anesthesiology Assistnant, and perfusion as well as PA. I can either retake all the pre requs i need to to get gpa up, or try to get into a "mid-level" healthcare job such as respiratory therapy or paramedic, and work that job while take pre-requs to save up money for the "higher-end edu" later on (PA, AA, RAD, Perfusion). CRT program here would take me 2 years, and im thinking I would rpob be able to squeeze atleast one pre-requ per quarter in with the RT program. Only advantage I could see to just taking pre-requs and working as emt/firefighter is id get them done fast and be able to apply to the higher end stuff sooner, yet I wouldnt have the income of the Rt or RN position, what do you guys think?

If you can afford to stick with your job and just take the pre-reqs then I definitely would.

Archived