Ugghhhh, academic grumble ahead....

the problem with this is journals bring in less money in subscription fees which hurts there ability to recruit top publications and investigate health related issues ? JAAPA is open access ... but I understand this is a different situation than the NEJM becoming open access. I would like to learn more about this issue.

the problem with this is journals bring in less money in subscription fees which hurts there ability to recruit top publications and investigate health related issues ? JAAPA is open access ... but I understand this is a different situation than the NEJM becoming open access. I would like to learn more about this issue.

It has to do with who's paying. More and more journals are moving to open access (they have to, new governmental funding mandates state that ALL government funded research must be published in open access journals by 2015 IIRC)....The prestigious Nature just announced that it will soon as well.

Open access is a good thing. It is a wonderful thing for science as it allows the real transfer of knowledge and new findings across domains to scientists at all levels.

The problem is......they charge the authors. Since they aren't charging a subscription fee, they charge the authors a rather substantial fee to publish. Some like Elsevier publishing (which many of us are banning for other reasons) make it voluntary.

Some, like BMC (Biomed Central) do not. This is not an issue for grant funded research, as you simply add the cost of publication into your direct costs in your grant estimate. But for unfunded research, small projects, KT, Systematic Reviews with Meta-Analyses, Theory, discussion, commentary, etc. pieces, you have to pay.

I wrote up a wonderful paper (If I dare say so, my co-authors haven't finished raking me over the coals....yet) on the "Effect of Organizational Theory on Audit and Feedback Implementation". It's a good paper, and the best journal would be IS (Implementation Science)....but it is a BMC journal....

The cost to publish is 2900 dollars. Obviously, this presents a problem.

SO, I think the concept of OA is great. From a knowledge sharing, science perspective, it is WONDERFUL.....but the funding mechanism isn't going to work long term. There has to be an alternative mechanism to funding it, but no one right now, knows what that is....

That's where the frustration is coming from....There are many theoretical papers that GENERATE lots of original, interventional, grant funded research, but these papers may soon have a difficult time seeing the light of day....

Archived