Pre-med certificate vs. Pre-PA program.

I'm a mid-career professional wanting to become a P.A. I have a B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology, an M.F.A. in Creative Writing and was licensed to practice massage therapy in two states. I haven't practiced massage since 2010. I also taught for two years in massage program teaching A&P as well as massage theory and technique. I already know I'll have to retake a lot of the science courses and have no problem with that. I live in Los Angeles and UCLA Extension offers a pre-med certificate which offers the pre-requisities for applying to PA school. I could start courses as early as this summer. However, I am looking at pre-PA programs some of which offer direct admission to M.S. programs after the B.S. has been completed. I'm trying to decided which way to go. Doing my pre-requisites at UCLA is beneficial because I don't have to move. My main in concern is getting the hands on health care experience. As a massage therapist, I worked for chiropractors, acupuncturists as well as for resorts. Since, I practiced massage for well over nine years, I have a lot of hours working with patients. However, I know some PA schools don't consider massage in counting hours. It seems that most of the pre-PA programs are back on the east coast or mid-west which means moving. However, it might be worth considering since there is help in clinical experience and I wouldn't have to apply again to PA school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Toni B.

I took my classes in Whittier at Southern California University of Health Science's Integrated Science Program. Classes are Sat/Sun 8am - 6pm. Classes are expensive but just wanted to make you aware of it in addition to the UCLA Extension classes.

You don't need a certification... you already have your degree so all you need to do is take the prerequisites. If you're looking at programs like TUN's MHS program or Western's MSMS program those are good options but usually aimed at those who don't quite have the grades and usually have the same prerequisites as their PA programs.

As for the patient care experience (and if you're looking to staying local to So. Cal) I'd contact RCC and Loma Linda to see if they accept that as healthcare experience just because its non-traditional. As for the other programs like Western its all about GPA. If you have a 3.4+ GPA you'll get an interview. They don't care about healthcare experience and in their Preview Day said that statement.

There’s supposedly 2 new PA programs coming to LA as well (Charles Drew and West Coast University).

I have no idea on how USC accepts students as I never planned on applying there (3 year program / costs a lot of money / required 1 year of Spanish or language competency).

It took me 6 months to take all the prerequisites for the PA programs going to SCUHS so essentially you could save time and moving by taking classes there or UCLA extension. I was a communications major by the way so I only had the non-science prerequisites completed.

Great info Timon!

How far are you starting applying to PA schools yet? I've only been glancing at PA programs since I've been focusing on the pre-requisite part of it. I saw the Whitter classes do they include labs as well? Do you feel like you learned everything you needed to apply to PA school. I wasn't planning on applying to USC considering the cost. I'm already paying back for my undergrad and graduate degrees.

Thanks for the info.

Toni B.

I start PA school in July. I applied 2 times, October 2011 (just as I finished my prereqs) and in June 2012 (after I started gaining HCE).

I feel the ISP program is great. I still remember just as much as when I took classes for my undergrad and MBA. I feel prepared but we'll see how it goes comes my first round of exams. The classes do include labs and if you want to make it 5 units instead of 4 you can add a capstone project to the course (usually a 12 page paper and presentation).

Teachers there are great (mostly PhDs / MDs / UCLA faculty). The program is becoming very popular and the labs are starting to get really crowded. Outside of that I feel the learning and absorption is the same as with any other school.

My advice would be skip the pre-med certification. It's likely to include classes you probably or definitely won't need.

Just focus on the pre-reqs you need. There are a lot of PA students whose jobs involve less than yours. I think your work experience both as a teacher and massage therapist will both give you a boost on your application. However nothing beats hands down experience with patients as an EMT, CNA, etc. If its within reason for you to get experience by changing jobs, go for it. If not maybe you could work part time as a CNA (takes 2-4 weeks to get certified; you must be persistent when applying for your first job), or at least volunteer. There are plenty of schools that don't necessarily require anything past what you have and/or volunteering (even the majority of schools, really). So do your research by visiting school websites and emailing them as well.

You can get your pre-reqs wherever. I completed half my degree at a community college. I feel it did not play against me in getting into PA school at all. I felt they were considered the same as my classes from a 4 year degree. The pre-reqs I got from there were Bio 1 and 2 and Microbiology. I would have probably got the rest of my pre-reqs from there (or at least my chemistries) in retrospect! Not only was it cheaper but the quality of education was MUCH MUCH better. You can go to UCLA if you prefer but definitely consider getting at least some pre-reqs at a community college.

Archived