How much weight is placed on GRE scores?

Hi everyone. I am going to apply to the Medical University of South Carolina PA program. I am told they look for GRE scores in the 50% range so I am shooting for at a least that for a score. Does anyone know how high a priority GRE scores are in comparison with grades, health care experience, references, etc. ? If anyone has specific info about this regarding MUSC would be great as well as any general info anyone has.

As sort of a side question, do PA schools pay much attention to the analytical writing part of the GRE?

Hmm maybe I should word this question a little differently. Do PA schools tend to use GRE scores as an initial screener? I haven't taken the GRE yet but I am going for at least the 50th percentile if I am able, as that is what the school I am going to apply to uses as a standard. So say if I don't do as well as I had hoped and my GRE scores are a bit sub par will my entire application just be glossed over or do other factors (grades, health care experience, etc) get considered at that point as well?

It depends (on the program)...I've had some program directors tell me, "Don't even worry about it...just try to get at least the 50% range," or "We require a GRE score because it's standard for any graduate program." In general, GRE scores aren't a high priority compared to everything else.

I'm not sure if they use the scores as part of the initial screening process, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did given the amount of qualified applicants there are. So please do try to study and do your best to get at least the minimum (I think it's harder to score below 50% than above 50% anyway). If anything, it just shows how dedicated you are to this career path. And think about it... the PANCE/PANRE will be much worse.

But even if your scores end up being subpar, don't let it stop you from applying if everything else in your application is strong. Also, apply to schools that don't require GRE scores. Message me if you'd like to know about some GRE resources/advice.

Thanks for your reply okadam. I do plan to get the best score that I can get on the GRE. I have been using the Kaplan study on demand program and it is helping a lot. I am stronger in verbal (64% on the practice test) than math (40% on the practice test) so I am really spending the majority of my time brushing up on math. I have been improving so that makes me feel better. I want at least a 50% on the math section but hopefully with the studying I will do better.

I was told by MUSC that the "program goes by scores in the 50th percentile." I haven't been able to find any information on how much the GRE plays into their evaluation of an applicant anywhere.

Due to my circumstances I need to stay in South Carolina so I will only be applying to MUSC in Charleston. I figure worst case scenario is I don't get in. In that case I can take the GRE again and apply for the next cycle. But I plan to do everything I can to make it in this time around.

Archived