Manipulation training?

I can tell you that it's taken me 2 yr of weekly manual medicine training in DO school to become semi-competent. Some folks just have the knack; I don't. It's highly mechanical. On the other hand, it's invaluable in learning a practical approach to musculoskeletal problems. I am much better with palpatory diagnosis and rely less on imaging now, and patients appreciate quick relief. It's also good for a party trick :)

Primadonna, my wife would love it if I had such clinical abilities each evening when she gets home from work (popping her back)! I do believe that there is something to what you said with the added benefit of physical assessment versus heading straight to imaging.

Although I went to a PA program that was within a DO school, we had not one second of OMM. From what we were told (I don't know if it's still this way), it was such a political minefield to train the PA's to do any sort of OMM. But as primadonna pointed out, I'm sure it also had to do with requiring many hours to even begin to achieve some sort of competency in it that PA school couldn't afford the time to devote to it.

Id go DO school if I didn't need MCAT and to redo my prerequisite courses.

I can tell you that it's taken me 2 yr of weekly manual medicine training in DO school to become semi-competent. Some folks just have the knack; I don't. It's highly mechanical. On the other hand, it's invaluable in learning a practical approach to musculoskeletal problems. I am much better with palpatory diagnosis and rely less on imaging now, and patients appreciate quick relief. It's also good for a party trick :)

The problem with OMM is that you have to do it ALL the time to be good at it. There is a course in Michigan that is designed for PT's to learn OMM and it is a great course.

I work in non operative spine with 8 physicians, one of whom is an MD who used to be a chiro, and another is a DO who used to be a PT. NEITHER of them do OMM.

When I asked why, they said that they simply don't do it enough to be considered competent at it all the time. Some of our PTs are trained in it, and use it on a more regular basis. I've thought about it, but it simply isn't something I would do enough to warrant going through the training.

I'm a chiro and had a private practice for 13 years before becoming a PA. Now I'm a Gen Ortho Surg PA. My first job was Spine Ortho and Pain Mgmt. My chiro training was invaluable. I still do chiro 2 half days per week although it does not pay the bills like Ortho work with injections and surgery. Manual manipulation is more time intensive imho. It's 2nd nature to me at this point. It takes much much time and there are many approaches for different reasons. If one is interested, seek out some beginning manipulation or cont ed courses and start with the thoracic spine. I still have a chiro table which is completely a different tool than an ortho exam table. Without a low chiro table or special PT table, one could learn manipulation for standing moves, seated, or moves adapted for higher tables. Beware though, there are alot of manual therapists, chiro's, PT's, etc with injuries from using poor mechanics. Learn the correct ways with good fundamentals, just like any other discipline.

As a chiro in CA, I usually do my chiro cont ed locally or via the CCA (calif chiro assoc). For non-chiro's, I really do not know of any courses teaching manipulation. I will keep my eye open though and post back to this thread if I see any. I think the cont ed courses have fees for Non-Chiro's or Ancillary Providers. Disclaimer: Some courses just plain suck, others are decent. You've been forwarned. You might check out some chiropractic colleges--Los Angeles Chiro College in Whittier (now called by a different name), Western States Chiro College (also now called by a different name) or Palmer Chiro College. I am not knowledgeable about Osteopathic Colleges and how they teach manipulation, but I would surmise that it can't be that much different. I'll check into it though.

• 8 months later...

Archived