Please help...

So this will be my first attempt at a personal statement.. It is very rough so please bare with me! I appreciate any feedback... Thanks

I am not a perfect person, nor do I ever wish to be. I have made mistakes, doubted my decisions and suffered consequences. A perfect person has nothing to strive for and without a larger goal there is no passion to achieve and no lessened learned. I live by the saying “Aim for the best, and expect all that can go wrong.” Sounds a little morbid but let me explain: For the longest time, I struggled with going after what I wanted and that led to some unfortunate let downs both in my academic life and my personal life. I have no real excuses other than I was too afraid to fail that I never reached higher than I could see. Over the past few years, however, something changed and I started to question my thought process and wonder, what is the worst that could happen? This questioning brought on my words to live by. I aim for the best; in school, in my work and in my personal life. Instead of telling myself I can’t, I tell myself “I must.” I balance out all my worry by expecting everything that can go wrong. I don’t look at expecting the worse as being afraid but preparing and knowing how to either prevent the wrong from happening or find a different course to my goal.

This thought process will be my driving force in becoming a great Physician Assistant. I won’t have a narrow point of view and see only one road to the right answer. By looking for all the possibilities a scenario has from deviating from the expected I can provide better patient care by understanding the differences in each individual. I truly believe that there is more than one way to the right answer and what works for one individual will not always work for another. However, my goal will always be the same for everyone: Did I improve this person’s quality of life?

It never fails that I am asked at least once a week about my decision to become a Physician Assistant. It is probably one of the most complex questions I have had to answer. I cannot really pin pint an exact date that I knew this is what I wanted in life. Being a physician assistant gives versatility, it is competitive, and it is still expanding and providing more opportunities every day. I have yet to meet a practicing Physician Assistant who regrets their decision. (think I am going to take this out...)

I have always wanted to go into healthcare, but I never found that one area that fit in my mind as my “perfect” job. It wasn’t until freshman year of college when I heard about being a Physician Assistant that it all began to fall into place. It took me another year before I realized this was the right choice and ever since, I have worked as hard as I could to repair all the mistakes I have made in my academics in order to make myself a strong candidate. Looking back I do not understand what I was afraid of. Am I completely fearless now? Definitely not. I still question decisions, fear consequences and wonder if my choice today will have a major effect on something bigger in the future. But becoming a Physician Assistant isn’t one of them.

In the last few years I have become a whole new person. I am someone who has learned it is okay to fight for what she wants. I still struggle and fail but I get up and try again and keep trying until I get what I came for. Struggle shows us who we really are and I would rather struggle every day and be proud of what I have earned than to go through life taking the easy road and settle for what is given to me. I am not a perfect person, nor do I ever wish to be but I know that I am the perfect candidate for a school who wants someone unstoppable.

So this will be my first attempt at a personal statement.. It is very rough so please bare with me! I appreciate any feedback... Thanks

I am not a perfect person, nor do I ever wish to be. I have made mistakes, doubted my decisions and suffered consequences. A perfect person has nothing to strive for and without a larger goal there is no passion to achieve and no lessened learned. I live by the saying “Aim for the best, and expect all that can go wrong.” Sounds a little morbid but let me explain: For the longest time, I struggled with going after what I wanted and that led to some unfortunate let downs both in my academic life and my personal life. I have no real excuses other than I was too afraid to fail that I never reached higher than I could see. Over the past few years, however, something changed and I started to question my thought process and wonder, what is the worst that could happen? This questioning brought on my words to live by. I aim for the best; in school, in my work and in my personal life. Instead of telling myself I can’t, I tell myself “I must.” I balance out all my worry by expecting everything that can go wrong. I don’t look at expecting the worse as being afraid but preparing and knowing how to either prevent the wrong from happening or find a different course to my goal.

This thought process will be my driving force in becoming a great Physician Assistant. I won’t have a narrow point of view and see only one road to the right answer. By looking for all the possibilities a scenario has from deviating from the expected I can provide better patient care by understanding the differences in each individual. I truly believe that there is more than one way to the right answer and what works for one individual will not always work for another. However, my goal will always be the same for everyone: Did I improve this person’s quality of life?

It never fails that I am asked at least once a week about my decision to become a Physician Assistant. It is probably one of the most complex questions I have had to answer. I cannot really pin pint an exact date that I knew this is what I wanted in life. Being a physician assistant gives versatility, it is competitive, and it is still expanding and providing more opportunities every day. I have yet to meet a practicing Physician Assistant who regrets their decision. (think I am going to take this out...)

I have always wanted to go into healthcare, but I never found that one area that fit in my mind as my “perfect” job. It wasn’t until freshman year of college when I heard about being a Physician Assistant that it all began to fall into place. It took me another year before I realized this was the right choice and ever since, I have worked as hard as I could to repair all the mistakes I have made in my academics in order to make myself a strong candidate. Looking back I do not understand what I was afraid of. Am I completely fearless now? Definitely not. I still question decisions, fear consequences and wonder if my choice today will have a major effect on something bigger in the future. But becoming a Physician Assistant isn’t one of them.

In the last few years I have become a whole new person. I am someone who has learned it is okay to fight for what she wants. I still struggle and fail but I get up and try again and keep trying until I get what I came for. Struggle shows us who we really are and I would rather struggle every day and be proud of what I have earned than to go through life taking the easy road and settle for what is given to me. I am not a perfect person, nor do I ever wish to be but I know that I am the perfect candidate for a school who wants someone unstoppable.

• 2 weeks later...

This essay has a very different tone to all the others, which I think is good. Some things on first thought, and I wont go over all the grammar mistakes (and there are a ton) as I'll leave that up to you:

The 3rd paragraph, "It never fails that..." try writing something else. It sounds like your getting into why you want to become a PA but doesn't really answer the question then in the next paragraph you give it another go around. Or hell, try combining the two.

I like the beginning, it gives a good feel into your personality.

Rereading it, it seems like random thoughts. I know this is a first draft, but it needs some structure. In fact, I had to read some paragraphs twice to try to get what you were trying to express.

This is the only specific statement I can find for wanting to become a PA: "Being a physician assistant gives versatility, it is competitive, and it is still expanding and providing more opportunities every day." I would try to put something more in there or elaborating a bit more.

Well hopefully we will get more comments on it. Good luck!

Archived