Electronic Medical Records

I've been drafted, uh I mean I volunteered, to champion our migration to electronic medical records here at my rural clinic. I'm looking for resources for reviews of the different software that is currently available and information on other clinics' experience with integrating EMR. Any guidance you might have for me is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

This was copied from a previous post regarding EMRs.

I can not emphasize enough how important IT support is, and establishing a good relationship with competent, local IT support.

My husband set up a couple of clincs on Soapware. The program itself was inexpensive compared to others they looked at. The hardware needed to implement EMR is what sends shockwaves through the bank (DB servers, Fax servers, etc). There are great leasing companies that work with companies like Dell. You need good IT support. He has set up 11 clinics so far with programs as simple as Soapware and as extensive as EClinicalWorks, EMDs and soon ACERMed. For the most part, EMRs come out of the box with very generic templates. We have found that these can be customized, but the MDs do not have time for this. My husband has customized templates, letterheads and notes for the various programs he has installed, and they are time consuming. I help him by giving him the content he needs for specific notes.

With good IT support, you can even access all your records from anywhere with a high speed internet connection, including a smart phone.

Talk to various MDs using EMRs and inquire about the IT support. Some clinics depend on the vendor they purchase the product from, which can get very, very expensive. If you come across someone who has personal IT support they happy with, ask for contact info. PM me if you would like more info.

• 4 years later...

I, too, have been assigned with the task of choosing an EMR for our clinic. I have worked with numerous ones on my rotations. They all seemed better than the EMR at my last job, "Amazing Charts". I am not sure which EMR to go with, but I will not go with Amazing Charts. I lost 2 weeks worth of charting. It was terrible and the tech support is awful.

Archived