Is it worth applying this year? Need help.

I finished my B.S. a year ago believing that wanted to go to vet school so I spent the last 13 years of my life getting veterinary experience. After some careful consideration, I decided that was not the right path for me. It was more of a childhood fixation that I had worked very hard towards because I didn't know what else to do. As soon as I decided to pursue a career as a PA, I knew I needed experience so I became an EMT. I had a bad accident shortly after obtaining my license and haven't been able to work so I haven't been acquiring any more experience. I was considering going to paramedic school this Fall. My initial thought was that the 600 hours of clinical experience for the program would count for something on a PA school application. However, a few of the PA school websites have explicitly stated that they will not consider this experience direct patient contact...seems absurd to me. I was wondering if any of you could provide any insight on this? Would I be better off just getting a job as an EMT and working for the next year? Is it even worth applying this year with so little experience? My GPA is 3.5 and GRE scores are 157 (560) verbal, 156 (720) quant. and 4.0 analytical. I have a few physician assistants that are willing to let me shadow as much as I can handle and my letters of rec are solid.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Hi lwwebb,

I am in a very similar situation as you. I too have a lot of animal experience and was thinking I wanted to be a vet. I even majored in Animal Science and it took me a long time to realize that this is not the path for me. I would also like to know if the EMT training program counts as any patient contact, or if one has to work in the field for a while. What made you change your mind from vet school if you do not mind me asking and how did you like the EMT course? Also, there are some schools that don't require patient contact and you could apply to those.

I applied to vet school during my senior year of college and when I wasn't accepted, it made me seriously consider if I was doing the right thing applying a second time. I considered the things that I would like to do later in life. I'd like to have time for a family and occasional travel. My EMT course also made me realize how much I love human medicine and working with people.. I guess I should have picked up on that three years ago when I realized how much I loved human anat and phys haha

I would definitely recommend the EMT course. However, the job market for EMTs in my area is meek compared to that of CNAs. If you want to get a lot of hours fast, you should probably get your CNA cert. As much as I love emergency medicine, I'm wishing I had become a CNA.. I guess it's not too late.

Archived